Old 06-12-2007   #1
Brown's Oar Rig, Newbie

Headed down to FIBArk this weekend and am going to run Brown's in my 13' Otter.

I've done some easy Class III's in it before, but I do not have the most experience with the oar-set up and don't have that many river miles on it. I've ran Brown's 5 times before in a ducky and never had a problem. 700-1800cfs. Pretty decent at reading water on the run.

My question is: Should I expect more problems with the oar rig (rocks/narrowness/etc)? Or should I just be happy that my 'junk' has finally dropped and that I'm in a real boat?

Thanks for the input.

Much Grass.

watahwatah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #2
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
yep, be glad your in a real boat..No, J/k if you been down it before, all should be good. Make sure you, and your friends are ready for high sides, make damn sure you let them know about the dangers of a frame/oars coming down on them in a flip, and keep your downstream oar out of the water when your drifting sideways.

would probably be a good idea to do a couple flip drills early on.

good luck, have fun.

Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I ran Brown's this past weekend in a 13' oar-rig. You shouldn't have too much of a problem if you know how to read water. When I started boating a few years ago, Brown's was one of the first trips on took my boat down. As oarbender stated, if you have passengers, be sure they know what they are getting into as anything and everything can and will happen on the river, including flipping. I suggest not having passengers your first few times on your new boat. That way if you mess up, you only put yourself in jeopardy. Get a helmet, and when in doubt, scout it. Zoomy is always worth a scout in my opinion.
DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #4
You'll do fine but probably should take a look at zoom flume as practice. You can probably run it middle moving river right or if you're feeling good stay straight down the middle and punch the big hole. Just remember if you are going into a hole you should be rowing through it. Have fun and then head down and try the Royal Gorge for a step up.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #5
on your sister, ...
throw some bodies in front to serve as ballast and have at it. it's allot less technical at these flows for sure. big waves and a handful of holes you probably want to miss though.

practice the movement of shipping your oars forward to the bow for the narrow spots.
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007   #6
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
If your in an otter for FIBark, why not throw in the thwarts and run paddle raft. It's a great paddle run and will give you the chance to try out paddle boating in a variable river setting. IMO.
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007   #7
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Brown's/ oars or paddles

I'm running Brown's this weekend with my 14ft SB. I always run an oar rig, but I have thwarts and paddles that I've never used. I guess my fear is that I won't be in control with the paddle setup. Any tips?
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007   #8
Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Brown's is one of my favorite runs in my cat. Lots of play opportunities, fun currents, great scenery and just enough rapids to keep it from being to relaxing/inebriating.

I'd say no real worries, plenty of time up higher to play around and get used to things and play around before the big rapids. I'd agree with the previous posts: scout zoom, and yes practice shipping you oars, but it shouldn't be to bad at this level. Also read the current. The river will put you where you want to be most places on this run if you let it/work with it (big drop is the one exception to that in my experience though).

As far as running it as a paddle, I love my cat, but running a paddle boat can be more fun. Control really isn't an issue at all, you can move it around no problem in the stern. It might take a little more muscle at times, but is easier overall imo, and more fun if you have a good crew to get wet too.

Robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007   #9
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
I'm running Brown's this weekend with my 14ft SB. I always run an oar rig, but I have thwarts and paddles that I've never used. I guess my fear is that I won't be in control with the paddle setup. Any tips?
I'd suggest getting in on some guide training from one of the commercial companies. I send my son through Buff Joes a few years back so he can take his friends down Browns. Best money I ever spend on his education. I thought I'd heard somewhere that one of the commercial companies also teaches private boaters in a special class. Anyone know if this is true?
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007   #10
Blue Shiver, CO, Colorado
no problem

My only suggestion is that you try it out in a lightweight state before you take all your buds and that big cooler of beer and all there stuff. Your boat will perform much differently when you start adding weight. Put youir two best buds in the front and hit every hole you can!!! Brown's is a blast in an oar rig....we fish it all the time.

smittyvwbus is offline   Reply With Quote