Old 06-27-2011   #31
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Hydrosilk - yes
Cotton - no

since you're going with an outfitter, I'd go with one of their splash tops, leave the dry top at home. Dry top might be a bit much IMO (even dressing to swim). I wear a splash top on Brown's, and yes, I have had the pleasure of swimming. It was enough to stay warm, even after the swim.

Cotton works lie a swamp cooler - evaporative cooling. The water will cool you down enough as it is, you don't want to make it worse with cotton.

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #32
ebbing, flowing..., CO, NM
Paddling Since: 1985
Originally Posted by cavebat1987 View Post
wearing short and a t-shirt or not even wearing a shirt.
bear skin is Waaaaaaaay better than a cotton t-shirt. there is no way in hell that even I (who way underdresses compared to most because I over heat so easy,) would wear cotton on this river right now! skin dries quick, cotton does not.

Yesterday was one of the better rafting days I have seen in along time, and I didn't really see anyone in a bad mood or cold, people were eating it up actually.
ok, so I have to say here that zoomflume was way washed out yesterday, it was mild, splashy, fun, & easy, yes people were totally eating up zoom, loving it & grinning huge! Not everything was that way... Sidels was a hungry monster yesterday... I flipped there, after watching several other boats flip. My 3rd flip ever, in 12 years of guiding & 26 years of private boating... my customers were out of the water quickly & very happy for their wet suits, the one girl I had even given my personal hydroskin top to, as well as her fleece & splash top, she was very happy to have it all & was still cold. I was wearing my typical board shorts & hydrosilk & I was pretty chilly for the rest of the trip, ok, but chilly, even pumped up on adrenaline...

When I was giving out gear and people were asking what to wear I would say wetsuit if you get cold easily, I pushed the splash jackets to everyone in the morning and just to people that got cold easily in the afternoon. If it was going to be rainy cloudy and crappy all day I would push a wetsuit and jacket to everyone..
I'm guessing it's been a while since you've been in this boat (so to speak) and may perhaps be forgetting that the advice changes throughout the season... high water (even on warm days) I Strongly recommend wetsuits to everyone, (I basically Insist.) once the water drops I say "only if you get cold easy" and I always take splash & fleece incase someone gets cold. low water hot season, yeah, forget the wetsuits, but not now!

I see people all the time wearing full drysuits, full wetsuits and splash gear, etc on a perfectly nice day on Browns and I just have to shake my head. Really?
I have NEVER had a customer regret wearing a wetsuit! Splash tops come off & get put on & get changed around all the time, but wetsuits are generally appreciated. I do have to agree though that I don't understand how Guides who wear drysuits on hot days don't sweat their asses off... for sure!

For me it all kinda boils down to this... I believe that customers should be dressed to stay warm, & that guides know themselves well enough to know how to dress themselves. I also Always cary extra warmies for customers just in case. And yeah, so what if the air is warm, the water is BIG & COLD right now & customers are spending their day drenched.

Journeys of a River Mamma Blog "Ever onward, ever forward, ever down the River!"- Ed Abbey
RiverMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #33
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I always encourage ladies riding in my raft to go bare skin.
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #34
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Well spoken, RiverMamma, As much as I love a good natured argument, your logic is really hard to argue with

Originally Posted by powdahound76 View Post
I always encourage ladies riding in my raft to go bare skin.
Or just an UnderAmour top....... Hm........

cavebat1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

browns, browns canyon