Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-24-2012   #11
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss View Post
Does Browns Creek see much overnight action with low water?
Also where do the big companies typically stop in there, AVA, WA, Buff Joes, Runners etc.? I don't want to cause beef with the industry.
The commercials stop everywhere, and they are running more than 2 trips per day right now. I was sitting at Ruby waiting on shuttle last week and saw commercials launching basically every hour. If someone wants to float, they take 'em. Usually you won't see companies stopped above Canyon Doors, but not always. Last time I went through literally 80% of the spots were taken, but it was all groups on lunch break. Very few overnight trips right now, no-one wants to row the gear boat....
I would suggest an early or late start.
Most of the more popular good spots have been mentioned, but you may need to do a little exploring yourself, there are spots around almost every corner.

Check out a topo, and look for Little Cottonwood, Middle Cottonwood and Cottonwood. Also there are the spots on left and right near Pink Panther. Browns Creek is next. Then Spring Gulch and the spots river right above and river left below Big Drop. You could camp at Green Gulch near the beginning of the Staircase if you walked up 50 yards. Then there is the spot on the right where there is sometimes a small waterfall just below Widowmaker. If you continue past Hecla there is camping river left at the first draw below the boat ramp as well as at Railroad Gulch just before Seidel's.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote