Old 07-07-2006   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Broken paddle, new paddle opinions

Aw Shit! I broke my werner player bent shaft 45 degree offset on lower clear creek yesterday. I'm going to buy a new paddle, and I am looking for suggestions for something that I should be able to get pronto from a local shop (ie: no woody's). I like the bent shaft grip, and I really liked my old paddle. I've heard lots of different things about feather, and I have been wondering about smaller feather angles. Some of the AT paddles I have seen looked pretty bomber. I do mostly river running, some of the front range class IV/IV+ creeks, and a bit of playboating here and there. Looking for a good all around paddle that can take a beating. Any recommendations or opinions out there?

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006   #2
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I would just get another Werner from NRS or NOC. (CKS only stocks the 30 degree feather) Shipping is fast these days.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #3
Costa Rica Paddling Since: 1987
Send a message via MSN to crcreeker
I make carbon paddles, and am in Denver on visit for another few days. My paddles are full carbon blades, carbon/kevlar bent shaft. It may also be the cheapest selling carbon paddle out there these days. Weight is excellent, and i mainly creek, which means the paddle is nice and beefy.

I'm sending you a PM with my contact info, you're welcome to contact me and check them out if you're interested.

happy boating
crcreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #4

Get yourself a powerhouse bent shaft, our crew has quite a few and they are the shit, super responsive and powerful, don't waste time on an AT, they break and besides they use old waterstick parts on some of their paddles ( remember those pieces o' shit?). I also do mostly river running, and creeking but the powerhouse also has good blade shapes for the occasonal play session. have fun and choose wisely
pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #5
pnw, Washington
AT's do have a rep (well more than a rep, i have seen several break) for breaking so if you liked your werner buy another one. I cant see any possible reason why someone would want a 45 feather anymore unless they are racing. The 30's at CKS are the most feather I would use. Mine came out closer to 15 than 30 and I would never go back. Paddled a 45 breakdown the other day and it just seemed crazy to crank your wrist that much.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #6
dropzone, Colorado

Hey crcreeker, call me if you are still around this weekend and want to get out on some creeks. We paddled Bailey last Tuesday...

As for the paddle, if you like the blade shape of the powerhouse, but also liked the size of the player blade, then consider the werner sherpa. crcreeker's paddles looked very nice as well.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #7
Paddle recomendations

Yo Deepsouth Paddler-
Just to give you a heads up. If you want to get another Werner Paddle I have a sale right now on the Carbon Fiber Shogun, which is there top of the line creek and river running blade for 25% off as well as the Sherpa, which is there Fiber Glass river running paddle, same as the player, but with a river running blade. Give us a call or drop in the store.

Boulder Outdoor Center
2707 Spruce St.
Boulder CO, 80302
boc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to david23
Personally, I hated using an AT after using my Werner. The shaft is a strange shape for me, and I have seen a number of them break. However, they do have a loyal following, so they must be doing something right.

If I had the money, I would go out and buy a carbon Werner bent shaft. They're super bomber and really light weight and feel so natural after using a werner straight shaft.

Try a bunch. I would pick to one that doesnt take you any time to get used to, because it seems like that would be the best choice.
david23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for the info folks. I ended up getting another werner from confluence. Thanks to the confluence guys for talking to me about the ins and outs of paddle options. Much appreciated and great job as usual. I took my new paddle out for a virgin run down bear creek, beat the crap out of it and almost lost it. Whew!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #10
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Im using one of crcreeker's carbon bent shaft paddles and like it a lot. Its definitley stout and has a really nice design. Also much cheaper than a similar werner or AT.

afox is offline   Reply With Quote