Old 10-07-2005   #1
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Broken Boats

Does anyone know if it's possible to recycle old broken boats? And if so is there anywhere around Northern Colorado that would do it?

I've got three broken and cracked creekers at my place and want to clear space in the garage but don't want to add them to the landfill. I realize that a person can transform them into somewhat useful things like planters and mailboxes but I am wondering if someplace can take them and maybe make them into a new boat or something else usefull.

Any ideas?

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005   #2
Salt Lake City, Utah

Does one of them happen to be a Micro. I need a chunk of micro plastic for some late night, fume huffing, boat repair fun...

smcboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If any of them are Prijons, they'll take them back at the shop in Boulder. Read that on their website.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #4
Bham, Washington
sorry, I got a cracked gus, cross-link y, and m-3. man that seems like a lot.
Old 10-11-2005   #5
could they be used as teaching boats for beginners, pool classes, etc?
milozooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #6
How bad are the cracks? I might take some if you want to get rid of them. I like to patch cracked boats and use them for roadside runs. Then I run them down Colorado mank until there's nothing but a cockpit rim left around my waist.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #7
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
There is a sailboat co. in Steamboat that welds kayaks - send a PM to nhinds and he can probably give you details as it was one of his friends Zach that I saw with one.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #8
Hog Island Boat Works is the company that Caspian is refering to. They make rotomolded drift boats and do a great job of fixing kayaks. They have even succesfully fixed a crosslink boat which I have heard can't be done. It is a good way to fix a boat or make it useable for teaching, roadside colorado mank, etc. THey defintely aren't as strong as original but they work.

If you do it have them use the stainless mesh first and then the white plastic and make sure they drill out the end of the cracks so they don't run anymore. I worked with them quite a bit this summer perfecting their technique on my boat - they are good guys and do good work.

Whiskey's for drinkin' and waters for fightin'
- Mark Twain
wycoloboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #9
not on the bottom

I'm not ripping on the guys at hog island, let's get that straight right off the bat!

I had them fix 7 cracks on my huck & every one failed! (spent $50 & a case of tecates for a 1/2 hour of leak free creeking!)

Zach's boat was on the front, a less flexy section, but if you're doing the bottom... Bitchathane BITCHES!!!
(grace Ice & water shield)
It's the only way!
willdrivefor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #10
Bham, Washington
So here's the story. The Y boat has been reclaimed for beginner instructional use. I have a M-3 that is cracked on chine that is also patch but will need some tender loving care and a Gus shell cracked on the bottom hull but without outfitting as LL sent me a new shell (I love those guys). If anybody wants them they are welcome to them (first come first serve)

Leif 988-5502