Old 04-15-2010   #61
Summit County, Colorado
My husband and I have done the Daily many times, but we can't place where this rapid is. Can someone give more insight as to the location of the rapid? I agree with kazak4x4 - the only rapid I would think could potentially flip a raft would be White's, and I wouldn't think it would be that dangerous to a competent boater at these lower flows. I did check on Eddyflower and they do list Trash Compactor as a rapid, but there isn't a description and the picture shows a kayak playing in what looks to be a small hole that you could definitely skirt. Just wondering if anyone knows more about the rapid. Kind of surprised to hear about this happening on this stretch of river, but happy that everyone is okay.

summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #62
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Last year we did manage to flip a 14' paddle raft in the flat section of Yampa, the guys managed to find a hole somehow! So anything is possible. From the picture it looked like the boat wasn't a paddle boat and had a frame on it. So must be one of those freak accidents. I wonder if the kids were in wet suits and/or dry suits.

I purchased Kokatat dry suits for my little ones, I got 2 sizes larger to make it last for them and I feel a ton better now about doing big rivers with them now.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #63
Stoner, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I just posted this on the access page. It has me wondering if I should bring the little one anytime soon. I've been "on the fence" for awhile about when the right age is.

I just had a friend pass this along:

"If anyone is floating the Upper Dolores run between Big Rock and town over the next couple of days, bring some wire cutters! There's a 3-4 strand wire fence spanning the river about 1/3 the way down the run to town. The fence is about 100 yards past the dog-leg to the left that has a 2-3 foot drop on river right. When we floated it yesterday, the fence was about 6 inches off the water at river center, about 2 feet high at the river edges. If the river keeps rising, it may not be an issue. If it stays low, beware that you may have to do the limbo in kayaks or duckys. I found out the hard way that I'm not very good at limbo."

This leads me back to the topic of babies and boating. I have a 15 month old that was going with my wife and I on her first trip yesterday with this group until the water dropped yesterday. I've done this trip 50 times and figured it was a good time to bring the little one before some asshole strings a fence across the river. There aren't any livestock in this area.
Ikedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #64
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
It didn't say what stretch. Is that the Daily? I've never heard of a rapid called Trash Compactor near Moab.
The trash compactor is a hole on river right about 200 yards down stream from big sandy beach. Its a great kayak play spot at around 3000cfs and turns into a wave at around 5000 cfs. when its a hole if you were to hit it sideways could flip a raft but it is super easy to miss, or just plow through.

ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote

baby, children, families, infants