Old 04-07-2010   #41
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
great photos.

By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #42
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
We took our daughter down Ruby Horsethief at 7 months and literally strapped the pack and play (open) down on the back bay of the raft. Worked great when she had to nap and could not stand being held anymore. Most of the time she was on our laps though and always in a life jacket. We still had fun and don't recall much drama. Just make sure you have others on the trip to give you a little break. The pack and play was also great on the beaches and in the tent.

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #43
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
My parents started taking me rafting when I was 3.....on class III....pops and grandpops rowed while mom (who is an excellent swimmer) held on to me. As I understand it (because I can't remember all the details) I had the time of my life....everytime.

So I'll be taking my kids rafting pretty early. Floats for the first few years because I see VERY VERY little risk in floating....then bumping it up a bit based upon my little ones comfort.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #44
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
thanks for the great pictures and info in this thread. We are introducing both of our kids to the river this year can't wait!
BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #45
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Thought I'd post a couple to.

He has a blast on the banks and on the boat. At 2.5 years old, he was just getting the feeling of learning to paddle. Can not wait for more action this summer.

Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #46
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Kid Rafting

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]Click image for larger version

Name:	danny rafting.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2467

You have to start them early, before they become little video game addicts.
swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #47
My daughter is 14 months. She went down a section of the flathead river last summer on a short 2 hour float when she was 5 months. My wife held her most of the time either in a sling or on her lap. She had a blast when we stopped putting her toes in the water and looking at/picking up rocks when we pulled over to fish. Yes you do have to watch what they put in their mouths but I wouldn't say it was stressful. I recommend the first trip you do with them make sure it is fairly short and plan to even stop often. That was easy because that gave some time to fish.
My daughter did her second trip an overnight on Ruby Horsetheif this October at 8 months. She again had a blast. We used a big tarp to solve the problem of sand and sticks. She got a little fussy the 2nd day but then fell asleep. Both times she has not had a problem sleeping on the raft. We used a little blow up duck bathtub that we stick in the bottom of the front bay of the raft which she enjoyed sitting in when sick of being held and played with toys. It helped keep her out of the water. I was planning to use an old pack and play and strap it to the raft but my wife gave it away before she knew what I had planned to use it for. The blow up duck worked great though. My wife was also breastfeeding on both trips so that helped with getting her to fall asleep. I plan to take her out this summer some more. My guess is it might be a little more difficult with her so much more mobile but she still enjoys someone holding her plenty as it is so not expecting a problem.

Make sure your floats leave plenty of time for stopping but I also believe there are far more dangerous situations than a flatwater float. It is helpful to have at least a second passenger to help too in addition to you and your wife. Also umbrella important for the sun.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #48
Here is a shot of her playing on shore
Old 04-08-2010   #49
here is one of her on the raft
Old 04-08-2010   #50
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Hey the biggest deal with little kids is loss of body heat. They can float like a cork in your pfd or fall right out of it. Hypothermia is the killer if the PFD is snug and stays on. Figure out how to keep them warm in the water and get them a helmet. I don't think it's a great idea but it's your kid and the state has some fine institutions down in Canyon City if you screw up and the kid gets dead or daim bramaged. What ever you do make light of moving water. Remember a kid that small can drowned in a bath tub with a couple inches of water.

yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote

baby, children, families, infants