Old 02-17-2005   #1
Brian Donegan - RIP

I've got to share some sad news. A great friend and fellow kayaker died yesterday while driving up to Vail for some skiing. Brian Donegan moved to Denver several years ago and picked up kayaking shortly afterwards. I first met him my 2nd year of boating in 2001. I had gotten pinned under a ledge and swam out. Severely shaken, we walked to the top of the bank where he proceded to stand on top of my pinned boat to jar it loose. I can remember him smiling and reassuring me afterwards. "Dude, that was close." We've been friends ever since. We explored the Poudre and Foxton together, met at Golden almost every day after work, and almost always hit Confluence during a rainstorm. We'd laugh when an old tire or trash can pushed us out of a wave. There would be a cooler full of PBR waiting for us at any take out.

He moved to Denver from Michigan, he went to MSU, and always talked about his Wings. I remember him flying back to D-town to catch playoff games. He had bought a house down by DU about a year and half ago. We played poker on some Mondays...he was so cool, I couldn't figure out how he'd finish with all the chips.

I think Brian lived life at full throttle every day. He had skied in Argentina, paddled almost everyday while living in Eagle for a year. He guided several of us through Dowd chutes and the Numbers. I balked at Pine Creek last year and promised we'd do it this year. I knew he was holding me to it.

It doesn't seem fair that he left us so early. I know we're going to miss out on lots of good times and laughs. It will never be the same.

My deepest sorrow for his family in Michigan and all the friends whose lives he made better.

Thanks for the therapy.

Ryan Lee

ryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005   #2
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
That sucks Ryan!Sorry to hear about the loss of a fellow paddler...You always hear "only the good die young" just wish it wasn't so many good...Heart goes out to you and his family....Peace

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005   #3
steamboat, Colorado
If we could all live such full lives. . .

sorry to hear
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote