Old 10-10-2007   #1
Commercial Paleontology
Breakdown Paddles

Besides Werner does anyone know who else makes a good breakdown paddle & where could I check one out?

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #2
Durango, Colorado
Lendal....don't know anybody who sells them though

storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Aquabound. CKS has them.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #4
Golden, Colorado
After having to use one for the first time, get one with the same bend and offset as your regular paddle. Otherwise you might as well just propel yourself by farting.

My next setup is going to be two identical werners, one normal and one breakdown.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #5
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
local contact

Originally Posted by MtnGuyXC View Post
Besides Werner does anyone know who else makes a good breakdown paddle & where could I check one out?

Wildwasser Sport in Boulder can make any paddle into a breakdown or sell you a ferrule kit to do that yourself. welcome to Wildwasser Sport / Prijon kayaks USA

Wildwasser Sport - 7161 Valtec Court - Boulder, CO 80301
tel (303) 444-2336 - fax (303) 444-2375
dq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #6
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
Aquabound. CKS has them.
+1 My AB got way too much use this year. Everyone who had to use it liked it. Nice 4 piece breakdown.
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #7
x, x
Paddling Since: x
yes ab has the four peice and it is by far the best for your money werner has one also but be prepaired to shell out some coin and by the way it is in your best interest to make your own , its fun cheap and easy you can even cut a crown in it to have a 0 degree or 60 degree right or left hand control . sounds nuts i know but hit me up and you can try mine .
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #8
Golden, Colorado
I had the Aquabound breakdown. The first time I took it with me I lost it when I swam. I duct-taped it into a bundle but all that did was ensure that I lost the whole thing at one time. It was wedged in very tightly behind my seat...but the boat pinned and there was a yardsale of my shit going down the river. Even my clipped in water bottle and a clipped in dry bag disappeared. Make sure you bundle it up and then put it into a bag that it cannot come out of and clip it in (probably with a locking biner would be best).
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #9
Rotorua, NZ
Lendall paddles are a great option, they are very strong, easy to put together and very sturdy once tightened down. The blades have great purchase and are really quite durable compared to all the other breakdowns on the market. The price tag may be a little higher than the others but definitely put the "you get what you pay for" saying to good use. Alpine Quest Sports in Edwards carries them, and they are worth taking a look at.
Hope this helps cause hand paddles suck in class V!
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #10
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Lendal has the best breakdown. In fact, their four piece with Fusion blade is all I use for my regular paddle. I've taken it all over the country and it sat next to me when I flew to Ecuador couple years ago. The Padlok is the best connection for any blade and there is no play in the fitting whatsoever.

The Fusion blade is my preference but they do make some other more aggressive. Plus, the sweet thing is you can get a four piece bent shaft. You can also simply purchase blades if you ever want to switch to a more aggressive blade, such as the Kinetic. The Pulse blade is same size as Fusion but spooned shape so more aggressive.

Lendal was recently sold but it existed for a long, long time as a family business out of Scotland. Good people, great products. I had paddled Werner for a long time, plus I had a Mitchell wood/graphite and swore I'd never go back to composite. The Lendal convinced me otherwise.

Rutabaga in Madison, WI stock their stuff and can ship it. You buy a Lendal buy purchasing the shaft design/type you want and then selecting the blades. You can check it out at Rutabaga - Whitewater Kayak Paddles

Mark Mastalski

ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote