Old 03-20-2008   #1
Commercial Paleontology
Breakdown paddle

I am looking to buy a Werner breakdown paddle.. Anybody have any thoughts on whether I should get a 4 piece or a 2 piece. It will be fairly long at 197cm since I am a tall guy I normally paddle a 200cm.

Thanxs in advance.

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #2
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've been wanting one of these for a while:

Kinetik XTi - Lendal™

I don't know how they compare in price to Werners but I've heard they piece together a bit more solid. Available in 2 and 4 peace. I have nothing to do with the company (wish I did, then I could afford one)

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #3
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
4 piece fits much better into the sterns of boats. i have a werner straight shaft breakdown but wish i had a lendal.
The high side of good - Daniel D
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
4 piece good investment

I keep a crappy 4 piece w/ me all the time, and love it (fits in the back of an S6 190, or EZG 50 easy. Best spare gear I always have with me, and a 2 piece wouldn't fit. I've only needed it once, but it has been lent out numerous times. Want to get a nicer one (Werner or Lendel) but even this plastic blade paddle works well, and I think I paid about $50 for it. I'd get the nicest one that you can afford!
arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #5
Send a message via AIM to DesertBoater
just got a lendal 4 piece...they make a specific emergency breakdown paddle...but it's not available in the states, or so i hear. the sweet part about it is that if your regular paddle is a 4 piece lendal, and you break a blade or a part of the shaft, you can just interchange parts.

DesertBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #6
I have a 197 Werner 4 pc breakdown. They used to only be 45 degree with cheep blades. But now Werner sells all their glass blades including their creeking blades in any offset you want and its about as strong as their straight shaft paddle. I can't say which blades were on the Lendal paddle I used for a few weeks (they were black...XTi's maybe?), but they were just way to flexible and didn't feel durable or confidence inspiring to me. The bent shaft was nice, but more than a bent shaft, I don't want to break the paddle, especially if I already lost one. There could be other blade options that are better though. So I went with the Werner 197 4 piece.
tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #7
oh yeah
yep, lendal. ya can't tell it breaks down, solid.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #8
Denver, Colorado
Just bought the 4-peice straight shaft XTi Lendal. Can't really comment on it though, it hasn't even seen a pool yet. It will be my main paddle. Bought it for the Spring Cali and Fall WV trips.
Had a 4 peice AB too. Never used it, but loaned is out a few times. Never had a complaint. My only complaint- the blades don't float... and I drink too much on long floats which makes me tend to drop stuff. Anyone need a shaft for a breakdown AB shaft?

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
ditto Force,I like my werner ok but have heard LENDALS are really nice with several options for set up and quality,supposedly feel like solid paddles[no slight wiggle ,although duct tape reduces that problem].I had a 4 pc. AB it developed a crack in the shaft unbeknownst [thats a word aint it?] to me, i braced and the crack spread and the blade detached and disappeared,it would be nice if they floated.Lendal is the better paddle but a Werner may be more economical,especially if you won't use it much.

I usually take two breakdowns on a foreign trip,i had a 4 and a 2 piece,the two piece fit in my duffel,barely ,but was way more of a pain in the ass to deal with.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #10
I have a Lendal 4 piece in my boat and one in my hands. They are the only paddles I own right now and have been really happy with them. They are a little heavier than the Werner but the locking system is bomber so the blades don't shift in your hands. Good luck finding one though, I spent a month tracking them down.

Rando is offline   Reply With Quote