Old 05-21-2008   #61
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
I'm sensing a powerful convergence of river karma opening a can of whoop-ass on the horizon. The high water season of 2008, boaters beware. I hope all you boyz and girlz have each others back, because when shit happens it happens fast. Beatdown TR's to follow. Seriously though, have fun and be safe out there. My two cents, if your not willing to fish somebody out of the drink, you need a new sport. If you're gonna paddle learn how to self rescue and don't run anything you're not willing to swim.

d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #62
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Trev is right. Grif is not who you think he is.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #63
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Whoever he is, he sure sounds like a cool guy. Turkey legs AND a motor? I want to raft with Grif!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #64
Leadvillian, Colorado
Don't forget that he didn't sign in with the ranger either.
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #65
Buena Vista, Colorado
I never sign in. I don't want the man knowing where me and my girl will be using my bad ass outboard motor!
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #66
Buena Vista, Colorado
Here's a picture of my creek boat.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #67
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Yes, self rescue is key. When I was a newbe, I got talked into doing Browns at 2800 and I had no roll, and did not have much of a brace. Needless to say, I swam just about every rapid. I mostly self rescued with a little help from my boating partner who was probably second guessing talking me into going. Not once was I afraid for my life, but that came from being a swimmer and diver since I was a wee camper, so I was very comfortable in water, just not upside down. After that day, I took a couple of weeks off to let the water come down, and then looked for some easier water on the Taylor to learn on. But I was very adept at self rescue after that day and not losing my gear while swimming the Ark at 2800 was accomplishment enough for me.

Now this is too funny ^.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #68
conifer, Colorado
After taking a few minutes to reread the original post that the man has so kindly put back on the sight, I have a couple of questions.

1. Why did it take 12015 minutes to leisurely float through the 1/2 mile of raging rapids? My calculations would show that the water was only travelling at 1/6 to 1/8 mph-this doesn't sound like whitewater to me unless Yakgirl was actually in an eddy not in whitewater.

2. Why do you carry 3 drybags on a 1 night trip-seems vain? Do you carry make-up and 10 outfits?

3. How could someone 900 feet with a layer of trees between you hear you? It seems that you overestimate times and distances as much as stories.

4. If you have a reliable not bombproof roll and are fairly handy in a kayak then this section should have been no problem. Do you also estimate your ability as well as times and distances?
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #69
Troll Perhaps?
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #70
C. Springs, Colorado
How did the OP.........yakgirl101.........change his/her/it's name to...............Withdrawn1.............this place gets stranger by the day.

Why did the man cross the road??????

Because he was stuck in the chicken!!

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote