Old 05-21-2008   #41
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Originally Posted by yakgrrl101 View Post
Which is what I did and I have no problem with doing that.

Summit, people like YOU have the attitude problem!!!
You missed the point. Your first expectation was to be saved by someone else. When that didn't occur, only then did you self-rescue.

If you self-rescued yourself without injury and without letting go of your boat or paddle after being in the water for "15-20 minutes" I'm not believing that you "bout lost your life." That kinda messes up your "criminal negligence" claim even if there was a legal requirement... actually suffering no loss or injury (aside from your pride) does that.

Look, nobody is saying that your situation was pleasant or that your "friends" did right. However, your perspective is not just "what jerks, they should do what is right." Your attitude is "someone should MAKE them do what is right and since they didn't someone should PUNISH them."

SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #42
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Originally Posted by yakgrrl101 View Post
First off, to everyone here, I will admit that I underestimated the river at the level that it was running and I was confident in my abilities to run it in spite of the high water and such. I trusted everyone in my party to help each other out. The responses I'm seeing here sets in stone that people here have no heart whatsoever and could give a rats ass of lives on the river.
You are so far off base here. I, and everyone I boat with, would put their life on the line to save me or another one of our friends. We would even put ourselves at risk to save a stranger.

The point still is, you are responsible for yourself. It is absurd you would ask the police to intervene because you got yourself in over your head. No one made you kayak. No one made you go with people you don't know real well. No one made you make all the bad choices that you made that day. Its all on you.

If your original post had been more of a question on the etiquette of offering assistance, you would have found that everyone would agree that you rescue anyone and everyone you can on the river.

Instead, you ignore your responsibility in this matter and insist that this was everyone else's fault.

Now you know. You are responsible for you. You need to make sure at every put in that you tell your buddies " I AM A ROOKIE. IF I SWIM YOU MUST HELP ME BECAUSE I HAVE A HARD TIME SELF RESCUING, OK?"

Now get back on the horse and go paddle.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #43
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
This is one of the best threads I have read in a while. Yakgrowler, instead of getting pissed off about people's replies which just shows how hotheaded you are as you can't handle constructive critism, you should look at all the feedback you are getting and use it to not suck at life. That's how it works, you learn from your mistakes. On my second time down the river I swam and held onto my boat and my paddle and they went into two different holes and I cot crucified and then had my hand crushed between the boat and rock. You know what I learned, get your boat when it is safe for you to get your boat. Dagger pumps out those suckers out by the hundreds, Yahweh only pumps out one of you.

P.S. Self rescue should be known before you ever step on a river, even fat ass texans that come rafting know that

P.S.S. Screaming that you are going to die and blowing a whistle means you have too much air and time on your hands, buck up.

P.S.S. Think about what the law you want would open up (insert can o' worms here) Suing people cause they didn't help you or couldn't. What if they determine its not safe for them to get to you at that precise moment and you do self rescue, are you going to get them arrested because of their decision to wait?

P.S.S.S Responding with a FUCK YOU to a reply doesn't make people want to boat with you let alone rescue you. Watch those bridges cause once burned it is a long hike out of the canyon
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #44
Buena Vista, Colorado
What do you want me to say? Bitch can't swim.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #45
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
personally if you can't self rescue and you need a life guard, stay in the swim pool.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #46
Palisade, Colorado
Grif, why d'ya leave her?
did you leave her?
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #47
Buena Vista, Colorado
Man, me and my girl were just chillin' and this girl starts blowing her whistle and harshing our buzz! I tried to throw her a rope, but I was too messed up and I accidentally threw a turkey leg. She didn't catch it so we kept going. Fortunately one of the horses knew that something was wrong and kicked a log into the water for her to grab on to. We eddied out later and she never showed. I guess she decided to hang out at that ranch all day.
Old 05-21-2008   #48
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
I'm thinkin' that ain't the real McCoy...

But I'm entertained
SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #49
Buena Vista, Colorado
Am too. Grif McCoy to be specific.
Old 05-21-2008   #50
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Grif...... I think ya made me pee a little

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is online now   Reply With Quote