Old 05-20-2008   #11
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
My friends and I have each saved each others lives several times as part of exploratory creeking and that is part of the bond that makes boaters so close. I would dump your asshole "friends" if your story is true.

kayapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #12
Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
Whaaaa,i took a long swim,whaaaaa.

Welcome to Kayakin. Cowboy up.

Devils advocate
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #13
Rapids on the Gunnison? Maybe a wavetrain or two that are about 20-30 yards long at the most and maybe the dam at high water but I have seen canoes go over the dam with no problem at all. Maybe there really wasn't a rescue needed?
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
This does seem like an extreme reaction. Doesn't sound like you were boating with the right people. Only boat with people you trust, take it slow, and if you swim get out of the river ASAP. I think those are the lessons. Ultimately the responsibility for your safety rests with yourself though.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #15
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by gapers View Post
Whaaaa,i took a long swim,whaaaaa.

Welcome to Kayakin. Cowboy up.
Agreed. I thought it was a joke at first. Swimming class III while screaming "I don't want to die" and blowing a whistle all the while? I'd look the other way too. Jesus Christ. This is nothing like a near death experience. Maybe scared to death.

My advice would be to get out of the water and stay out. If you panic that badly in a mellow "situation" then I'd say you failed the test. Nobody is going to want to be in a foxhole next to you when it really hits the fan. The rafters should have knocked you out with a paddle and THEN pulled you in so that you wouldn't climb on top of someone's head and drown them.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #16
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The temptation to belittle a hysterical person for their hysteria is sometimes hard to resist. Resist the temptation!
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #17
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Can Admin please change the title of this post and move it to the eddy???
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #18
pnw, Washington
It is about boating and as a rule we dont change titles due to censorship complaints in the past.

I would say that calling people out on the internet rarely accomplishes what you want and also that dog piling on this person wont help either but thats just my opinion.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #19
Well, she did ask for feedback.

Yes, shit happens on the river.

To me, it sounds like the swim was very uncomfortable, but not life threatening. If you can blow a whistle and yell, you've got lots of energy and wind left.

What probably made the swim really agonizing is having that damn rafter nearby not helping. Sounds like he was getting back at you for something, but that sure wasn't the way to do it.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #20
I can't believe I am responding but I can't help it.

Ok, I think I know why you are getting so much flack here. Your perception of the whole ordeal seems to stem from the premis that Griff shoudl have rescued you. I think most of the readers here intuitively disagree with that.

Here is how it should have happened, you come out of kayak, then you swim to shore as Griff rows over to meet you at the shore to make sure all is good. He hangs out while you empty your boat and climb back in and you peel out and he peels out and then you all move on.

Does this condom make me look fat?
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote