Old 09-20-2008   #141
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
It's not at all about self-rescue, it's about spending quality river time with companions who understand the true value of cheap canned beer and turkey legs. Everything else superfluous... except maybe the ability to swim and operate a whistle simultaneously (while drunk on Schlitz). But I could be wrong...

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #142
Gunnison, Colorado
I coulda sworn this post was dead. Woohoo! It lives on! Everyone grab your loudest whistle and blow it at least 20 times in celebration! Never thought I would say this, but I think I'm falling in love with Yakgirl/Withdrawn. I get a strange excited feeling every time I see her post and just can't wait till she does it again. *sigh* if only she would post but once more on this thread...

riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #143
Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
Originally Posted by 3d360 View Post
based on the information you have provided my assessment of your actions leads me to believe that you did not take responsibility for yourself on this day and have found solace in blaming others for your misforture. Specifically, you sat around the put in for 2 or 2.5 hours waiting for somerafters when you might have been able to assess the river from the bank on your own, aquiring knowledge that could save your life. You said that initially you thought the river was at a mellow level but upon arrival the river was running high, this is a lemon. You made arrangements with people you didn't really know and apparantly trusted them, this is a lemon. You do not have a good roll, lemon. Your river skill is questionable as you did not employ the normal responsible mode of eddy hop, river scout, bank scout. As you now know floating into a rapid blind can and will kill you, basically you got lucky and are probably scared out of the sport. My personal experiences have led me to believe that no one else has my best intrest in mind, be aware, stay alive, be responsible. If you want to pass laws that matter try something related to personal responsibility. good luck.

Better (four months) late than never.
Devils advocate
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #144
Durango, Colorado
And no mention of Schlitz, Turkey Legs or Whistles.

Our traditions are falling faster than Wall Street...
Old 09-20-2008   #145
Gunnison, Colorado
*waving hands, repeatedly blowing whistle* This thread is dying! Please save it Yakgirl!!! Please post again! We've tried our best to keep it alive, but we need some new material to work with. If you don't, and the thread dies, I'll go to the admins and try to get a law passed that says that the starter of a thread is responsible for the life of their thread if it is providing fun for other boaters. And if the starter doesn't do that because they're too busy drinking Schlitz and eating turkey legs (that's for you DurangoSteve), then they get kicked off the buzz.
Old 09-20-2008   #146
Durango, Colorado
If Yakgrrl is our salvation, we truly ARE screwed...
Old 09-20-2008   #147
I never would have guessed in a million years that this section of the Gunnison would have ever provided this much entertainment. My only recolections of the Gunnison are.. "That was the Dam? I guess we missed the chute.." and on camping downriver from the canyon at "Camp Poo" which would have been a nice camping area under some cottonwoods except for the fact that there was a cowpie for every 2 square feet on the ground.
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #148
Gunnison, Colorado
dude, the gunny's full of surprises, like near death swims in class II/III water. Gotta watch out for that play park'll get you.
Old 11-26-2008   #149
Palisade, Colorado
I just wanted to take a moment and recognize that its now been just over half a year since yakgirl/withdrawn1 bout' drowned on the Gunnison, yet didn't really come close... I hope you (yakgirl/withdarawn1) have fully recovered from your swim and will get back on the horse come spring. (maybe get some pool sessions in first?)

I intend to eat........a turkeyleg tomorrow, skin and all, in recognition of this epicstory/thread. I also will be half drunk, although not on Schliz, in recognition of Griff... I hope others will do the same.
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008   #150
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Yes turkey legs, the Pinemnky13 family bids all a Happy Thanksgiving, with some schlitz and whistles

pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote