Old 05-25-2008   #1
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
bout lost my boat yesterday

so yesterday it was snowing and these guys convinced me to paddle some lame class IV round here called I think the Stone River. Now I have yaked this river before so I thought no big deal, but I was pretty tired from all the beer Grif gave me and sure enough I missed my roll right above carnage falls and was getting sucked toward the falls. I blew my whistle and said help and no one came (of course I was still underwater but I mean WTF! c'mon guys). when I got to shore right above the falls I had my boat but no paddle. Guss gave me his k-mart spare and I went over carnage falls and wham hit a big rock, flipped hit my head, tweeked my shoulder, and couldn't roll with the kmart. I had to swim for like 20 seconds and again no one got me! someone found my other paddle and I still had old k-mart but my stupid boat went on down without me! Sheer walls prevented us from seeing if Gosh was able to get the boat so Guss said you better man up and swim class IV or hike out. I thought the class V climbing out the sheer walls with wet booties would be more manly so I opted for that.

when we all met up at the takeout I demanded a bootie beer but no one had one. I mean at least rafters always have beer. Gosh said my boat was stashed neatly between two class IV rapids. Geez he didn't even want to tow it through the good stuff? so today I grabbed a cataraft and went to get that lousy boat that couldn't even stay upright in some measly rapids. cats are great cause its like having two kayaks and that doubles your skill level. they make class III kayakers into class VI rafters. anyway i find my boat run the shitz and get to the takeout. i had thought to myself surely there will be someone going to the put-in today (13 miles upriver). after a few hours i realized I had misjudged the popularity of this road. a car finally passed me after hiking 11.5 miles and I blew my whistle but they didn't stop!

that was my weekend so far and some percentage of this story is true (like the 13 mile hike). names were changed to protect the innocent. hope you enjoyed it.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Maybe I should have joined you instead of doing laps in town. Sounds like that was quite an adventure. ...and you always made fun of me for hyping up those "intro drops" before "carnage falls" on the "stone river".

Good story anyway!

rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You should have gone straight to the Sheriff and turned those bastards in! If it makes you feel any better, you are not the only one who did a brutal shuttle hike on Sunday. Also, you still owe a booty-Schlitz.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That's rough man. Glad you came out alright
Don't Panic
Cbrown327 is offline   Reply With Quote