Old 10-07-2013   #1
Boulder Crk - Buttress rapid changes

On my way down the canyon today i stopped and had my first look at the butress rapid. Doesn't look so good.
The entrance has changed significantly. The former path, river left, is now filled in with debris, some of which are 6 foot in diameter boulders(and a guard rail section).
All the water now goes over the former right ledge, creating a 5 foot high drop that is currently full of large tree trunks and a boulder or two in the landing zone.
The next new hazard is halfway down the rapid, just below the larger river right eddy that would often be caught. Here, new large boulders are blocking the right 2/3 of the creek (where the old line was).
How it will boat with 300 -700 cfs isn't clear to me, (once the logs are removed of course), but i'm pretty sure it's not going to be the highwater, relatively easy 4+ romp it used to be.
Attached Files

GE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We need pictures of our long lost friend (buttress rapid). Someone drive by and show us some details.

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill-
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Riley, Hojo and I ran it this evening, from four mile to 30th st.

The 5 foot boof with the log was pretty sweet, but that big log needs to go. Unfortunately it's root ball is buried in the ledge. This will change again significantly with more water. It is so impressive, how big the rock right below there, that used to form the entry is. The forces required to roll that one are truly immense.

Too many changes to list; it felt exploratory for me and it was a personal first for my companions. 80 cfs on the Orodell gauge. Seemed like 125 or so to me. Bony but manageable.

Any ledge drop that wasn't well anchored, eroded up stream, making some drops bigger and others disappear. Some of the notoriously manky corners seem to have cleaned up, and others have been created, but all in all it remains very runnable. More horizon lines to boat scout and many of the lines have moved from one side of the river to the other. There is certainly some wood to be cleared up top, but beyond the monster tree in the entrance boof, none require more than a hand trimming. I moved some chunks of steel around, but there is more guardrail lodged in there that should be removed.

I think there may be some big new holes towards the bottom of Buttress proper, if we get good run off.

The drop just above the play park dam is all but gone.

1/3 of the channel in the main park is now large cobble/rubble. Smaller eddies likely at good flow, but most drops are similar until you get to widow maker. It has lost all its teeth, as the rocks above and below have moved significantly. The earthen dam at the bottom of that pool is gone and the mankiness below there is almost river wide.

Someone got in there and cut the big logs at broadway and a few other places. One mandatory portage below Folsom st. remains. A couple trees we all slid over and a few we all ducked under. One river wide steel cable, right at water level, from a broken footbridge that will collect more wood and may require portaging if not removed soon.

One giant Cottonwood that is precariously angled over the main channel will likely fall this winter and require serious professional help. I think this was below Folsom, but it was getting dark.

Water does not smell clean. Not sure what all is in there; prolly better off not knowing.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Here are a few roadside shots. Dave and Riley each have some video that will be up later today. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1722271284.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	707.0 KB
ID:	7219 This is between 4 Mile put in and top of buttresses...used for getting equipment across the creek, no idea if they plan on leaving it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4054994945.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	683.3 KB
ID:	7220

Looking down on entrance to Buttresses

Name:	image-793870066.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	686.3 KB
ID:	7221

New log entrance. Crazy! Wish I had taken a pic of the side wash on the other side of the canyon that sent all this and the guard rail clear to the other side of the river. Big.

Name:	image-957849094.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	709.2 KB
ID:	7222

Right below the new log entrance.

Name:	image-3375316384.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	601.8 KB
ID:	7223

Looking up from a bit farther below.
Toni Frank
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
There was an excavator next to creek pulling rocks out of the new drop today. Looks like they are trying to cover some exposed piping next to the creek. Not sure why they need to pull them out of the drop, but they are. It is now just a big flume - so much for the fun looking boof!
Ricky NM is offline   Reply With Quote