Old 01-12-2010   #1
Boulder, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Boulder Creek's winter dam release?

Does anyone know when Boulder Creek has there winter release?

bmml112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #2
x, x
Paddling Since: x
It happens at night, The CRC book says around dinner time 5-7? I don't know much else.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hasn't happened in years. It used to run for an hour or 2 around 5 or 6 pm. I used to go all the time my first couple seasons boating. Releases were only 150- 175 cfs, but it was fun. Ran it from 4 mile under the full moon on Christmas eve in 96 or 97. New years eve was always a big hit too.

There has been pipeline construction right by the power plant. I wonder if the plant is getting an upgrade and there may be power releases again in years to come.

Anyone know what is really happening with the pipe? Looks like a new line went in from betasso water treatment (and hydro) plant down to the creek right near the old public service plant. It has me wondering if the water will go into new turbines at the old plant location for a second round of power. If this is the case it would mean more releases to Boulder Creek.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Winter flow on BC is looong gone. No more New Year's Eve night race, bonfire, etc.
I think that several years back the city took control of the hydro plant from Xcel. Xcel sponsored the evening flows to generate power for the dinnertime winter power peak. Boulder would prefer not to disturb the fishies with abnormal and oscillating winter flows so they just flow a constant trickle all winter.
Oh well, it sure used to be stupid fun once in a while. I think I won the last race because no one except me and my son and 2 spectators showed up!

yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

boulder, boulder creek, boulder creek winter