Old 10-11-2013   #1
Boulder Creek needs you! Please Help!

We are trying to clean up Boulder Creek and get the Play Park rebuilt. A lot of the play park features have been blown out or moved. Logs and debris are all over the river. The situation is very unsafe for boaters and other recreational users. You can help us by participating in two endeavors.

First, by writing or emailing the Boulder Town Council to let them know that the Boulder play Park is a valuable recreational asset. We need them to allocate funds for the play park's reengineering. Gary Lacey has donated his valuable time to help us rebuild. Please find below suggested guidelines for your communications with the town Council written by John Putnam.
The City Council email is
The members names are Suzy Ageton, Ken Wilson, George Karakehian, Macon Crowles, Lisa Morzel (Mayor Pro Tem), Suzanne Jones, Matt Appelbaum (Mayor), Tim Plass and KC Becker.

Second, this Sunday, we're getting a volunteer group together to help clean debris out of the river. We are meeting Sunday at 10 am at the Boulder Justice Center (6th and Canyon).
It should take about four hours. Please email me at if you are interested in participating.

David Holzman

David and all—

Thanks again for a great meeting tonight. Here are some recommended short-term talking points for City Council:

• Thank you for the extensive efforts by the City in responding to the flood.

• We wanted to thank City Staff, including Public Works in particular, for their efforts to assess the needs for restoration and improvement of the structures and habitat along Boulder Creek. While the Creek may not be as immediate a priority as damaged roads, sewer and water infrastructure, the flooding has seriously damaged whitewater and river infrastructure throughout Boulder County that residents rely on for safe recreation, quality of life and competitive activities. This should be addressed as the City seeks recovery funding from FEMA and other agencies.

• The floodwaters have moved boulders and other elements of the Creek’s boating safety and recreation features, along with flood control components. There is also significant debris, sedimentation and riparian fringe impacts that will affect the safety and use of the Creek.

• [Highlight your own personal love and use of the Creek. If from Boulder, be sure to mention that. If you live outside of Boulder, mentioning work, shopping, dining at restaurants, and other ties helps Council value your comments.]

• Both the St. Vrain and Boulder Creek are critical community recreational assets and contribute to residents’ quality of life through canoeing, kayaking, tubing, rafting, fishing, splashing, strolling and other uses. The structures also contribute to flood control, water quality and habitat.

• There is a large opportunity here to not just replace the existing, often older creek features, but to replace them with more modern designs that may be safer, better for recreational uses and more sustainable. This is consistent with the City’s commendable approach to other damaged assets, where the City has taken the opportunity to seek more functional and sustainable replacement for damaged assets.

• We are ready to be part of the solution. The boating community has already been volunteering to help remove debris and fix the corridor. We’re ready to do more.

• We ask that the City continue its efforts to assess impacts to the Boulder Creek corridor, remove dangerous debris, and fix and improve structures, dams and other elements of the Creek to enhance safety, recreation and sustainability.

• Thank you for your efforts and keep up the critical work of getting the area back on its feet.

Please let me know if you have any questions and let’s keep up the efforts. Thanks!

John E. Putnam

David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for the solid work. I emailed the council.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #3
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
glad to help today! debris/trees removed from creek near boulder high and kayak park areas
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #4
Great to meet you also glen we got alot of logs and stuff out of the river.
Old 10-15-2013   #5
Just saw this message so missed the weekend clean up. I'm interested in helping in future if you have an email list or web site.

Also, to the extent private contributions are needed I'm glad to chip in. Maybe raising some initial money will spur council to act.

After flood I ran the creek from mouth of canyon to the greenhouse 4 times at what felt like the 150 - 400 cfs range. It was still fun and only a few key play spots were ruined. Boulder Creek had deteriorated over the years anyway.

A long-term, comprehensive design would be a dream. But I'd hate to see an all or nothing effort that doesn't bear fruit for 5 years.

In meantime perhaps question should be are there play spots that can be restored for very little cost before spring runoff. I'm thinking of the spin hole below dam at the slalom course. The flood has made it a ledge and much stickier. Shifting a few rocks might make a world of difference.
treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #6
The Boulder city Council does have money to use for recreational purposes. What we really need to do is have a little bit of that money to go towards the Whitewater Park. The hikers and bikers are a very vocal group here in Boulder and would like to suck up all the funds. What we need to do is show them is that there is a large group of kayakers who are also interested in improving the Whitewater Park. Our current goal is modest just construct one or two good play features, and fix the slalom course. The feature with the most potential, according to Gary Lacey is the widow maker. If you want to get on the email list send your address to me at
So everyone please email the city Council, even if you’re not in Boulder, take a few minutes and give us a hand.
Old 10-16-2013   #7
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Can somebody at CU be contacted (rec dept)? CU students use the PP a ton during the summer. What about the tubing companies also? Get businesses involved!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #8
>>Our current goal is modest just construct one or two good play features, and fix the slalom course. The feature with the most potential, according to Gary Lacey is the widow maker.

Sounds great. Sent you my email address.

You are right about the competition for funding from trails. Even in best of times. But now after flooding $ are going to be especially tight. Perhaps another reason to see if we can kick start with a bit of private money. Then go to council meeting with pile of cash to show commitment.

treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

I just send my email to the City Council using the framework listed in Dave's email (via J. Putnam). Thanks for posting that. It took me all of a whopping 5 minutes....Do it!

Thanks again,
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #10

Thanks beth your the best!
All very good points to bring up at our next meeting! Raising money would show our seriousness and provide leverage. Getting local businesses involved would provide muscle. We already have offers from GoLite, and the Jackson kayak folks who always offer all the support they can.
But nothing will get the city councils attention like hundreds of emails flowing into their offices. We have to let them know that there are a lot of kayakers and we use the services and businesses in Boulder. Well I guess we could also go to the city Council meeting, maybe 20 of us and get naked.

boulder, boulder creek