Old 10-27-2013   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks David, for spearheading this effort. Here's my letter. I hope other kayakers chime in so that city of Boulder knows we want to see some changes. Keep your letters positive.

Boulder City Staff,

I am certain that the staff must be very busy mitigating the impacts of the September 100 year flood. Thank you for all your efforts with the pressing matters you must be faced with. I do not want to divert your attention from these really important issues, but there is a related recreational resource that was also impacted by the flood.

I live in Boulder and love kayaking Boulder Creek. I so appreciate the first effort of Boulder Creek's play park by Gary Lacey. I love putting in at the top of Eben G Fine, playing in the features, spinning the boat and surfing. The trip through town is so very fun with catch on the fly surfs, floating by the library, festivals and bands that might be playing. It is truly a unique experience and one which other front range boaters travel for.

Lots of the features survived the 100 year flood! However, some features have changed to the point of being hazardous. I hope that the city pursues consulting with experts in the whitewater features as necessary modifications are made in Boulder Creek for flood control. I stress kayaking since that's what I do, but there are lots of others in our community that use the creek for tubing and fishing.

Thank you for already making an inventory of the damage that has occurred from the high flows with Gary Lacey. Mother nature showed her force by moving boulders, leaving tons of sediment, toppling trees into the creek and not to mention a gas grill and other man made hazards out of place. Certainly the most obvious hazard is from the strainers created by trees and man made debris. I wanted to support the plan to continue to consult with those who are expert in whitewater park construction as you make necessary flood control features to ensure the feature is safe and functional for recreational use as well. I think that it is better to do the job once and plan for all uses than to have to make a separate effort later.

The St. Vrain is also a very important local recreational creek. As major efforts are needed on the St. Vrain, channeling these efforts to also meet the whitewater recreational features will hopefully make the restoration occur more efficiently since work must be done anyway. Please allocate funds to re-engineer our play park in Boulder and the St. Vrain. Over the last 20 years, much has been learned in the construction of whitewater parks and this can only enhance this recreational resource.

Remember spring will come and the runoff will follow. Kayakers, tubers, and fishermen will use the creek anyway. It is better to remove hazards and make the whitewater features safe and enjoyable before spring. Whitewater play parks are a positive impact on the local economy because kayakers generally spend money in the area. Kayaking has had a positive impact on our youth instilling discipline, creating goals, and has provided the base for a lifetime sport.

Thanks for reading my email and thank you for recognizing the need to restore the creek for recreational pursuits. I am available for volunteer efforts to clean up our creeks. Please contact me if I can be of assistance.

Susan Cherry

SueCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #12
Thanks, for posting that email Susan it's excellent and thanks for helping us get the logjams out of Boulder Creek. Really, folks all you have to do is send the Boulder city Council a few sentences. Tell them how much you love to use Boulder Creek and how a Whitewater course is a very valuable asset. Please everyone, just send one email.
Here’s a picture of one of our crews getting a nasty logjam out of the River:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	logs.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	7279   Click image for larger version

Name:	logs2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	7280  

David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #13
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Sent my email today! It was fun getting out with everyone this past weekend. David H. and team, good work. We made a lot of headway on the 9th street tree, but there is more to be done. This is one big tree and we needed a bigger saw to get the remaining big branches cut. It would also be easier to get to when the water goes down, any cut is going to drop the branches right into the water. I am thinking the city is going to have to get in there to open up the other side of the bridge from debris that is piled on the middle support? Regardless, I am up for helping again, if we want to go back.

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote

boulder, boulder creek