Mountain Buzz banner

Boulder Creek Flash Flood?

6K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  tellutwurp 
#1 ·
Just got an EAS alert on TV and the announcement said that Four Mile had flashed, and there were reports of the surge causing Boulder Creek to rise FOUR FEET above current flows.

Can somebody go take some photos? That should be pretty impressive to look at - I have sleeping kiddos + an out of town wife, so I can't leave the house.

#2 ·
7/13 7:45 p.m. - Event Updates
Flooding reported in Fourmile Canyon. Water levels appear to be receding. About 2" of rain reported in burn area in less than one hour. One home reporting damage from significant debris flows in the 1500 block of Gold Run. Debris flows on many roads in area.

Four Everbridge (emergency call back) messages have gone out to different residential areas. First call went out at 6:22 p.m. to 304 numbers warning residents of active flooding in area. Second went out to 108 numbers at 6:48 p.m. with the same message. Third went out at 6:57 p.m. to 41 numbers advising to shelter in place because of road closures, and fourth went out at 7:24 p.m. to 67 numbers warning of flooding in low lying.

Members of the public are asked to not call the media line for information.

7/13 8:00 p.m. - Flood waters hitting Eben G Fine Park
Approximately 4-foot water surge hitting intersection of Boulder Canyon and Fourmile Canyon. Eben G. Fine park being evacuated. People must evacuate low-lying areas along Boulder Creek now. Approximately 15 minutes till 4-foot water surge hits City of Boulder limits. Boulder Police officers are in the area warning people of the expected water surge. Residents near Boulder Creek should stay alert and ready to evacuate.

7/13 8:15 p.m. - Water Surge near Boulder
The water surge is two miles from the City of Boulder.

7/13 8:18 p.m. - Event Update
Predicting Boulder Creek to rise to appoximately 1800 cfs, which will create nuisance flooding in low lying areas around the creek. Sirens being activated to warn people of flooding and to stay out of low lying areas.

Emergency Status

#3 ·
7/13 9:05 p.m. - All Clear for City of Boulder
The water surge on Boulder Creek has passed. It did not cause flash flooding in the city. The evacuation for Boulder Creek in the City of Boulder is lifted. Emergency call-backs went out notifying the community of the all clear. Other storms could be developing, and the Office of Boulder Emergency Management is monitoring the situation.

#7 ·
the platte got up to just over 6k last night, and looks like it may happen again tonight, i'm plannin on headin out with a crew if it does. i know there are some city lights down at trestle and under the 20th st bridge so should be lit up pretty good. if it gets above 2500 on the actual gauge (not the one in here that's way far down stream) then i'll be headed out

#5 ·
We did a long run from Blue Bridge all the way to 28th St. We took out probably half an hour before the surge hit us. Some people were yelling at us to get out of the creek. It was a bit anti-climactic. We didn't really see the water level rise at all at 28th St. but there were some logs and debris that came through. Word from a couple people at the playpark was that it rose a bit and the water got dark. There's a decent chance the creek below 4 mile is littered with wood right now as apparently the surge came from rain runoff through the burn area.

On the other hand, the run from Blue Bridge down was pretty awesome and probably a lot more likely to destroy you then this surge of water from 4 mile. Much higher and some of those bridges will be getting pretty hard to duck under.

#6 ·
I believe that the Boulder Creek at Orodell gauge is located above Four Mile Creek, so you need to look at the Boulder Creek at Boulder Gauge. I looked at the park at around 8:45ish and it was coming down, but it still looked big. Widowmaker's boil line was about 15-20 feet downstream with a ton of wood getting recirc'd in the hole... We also checked out the dam at the top of the park and it looks like parts of the path had started to wash away there...

#8 ·
It was receding when I looked around nine, but still black and noticeably up at the library. A nine news van was just wrapping up. I bet they have non exciting footage if you go to the web.

Its possible that the gauge isn't calibrated to read accurately as flows crest a grand at boulder.

#14 ·
Here is some footage from last night’s flash flood. This was taken on a phone so the quality is not so good. I would think this was like maybe 1300 to 1500 cfs but as you can see very dirty with lots of debris. We had just taken a run from Eben G to 30th and were getting ready to put on for a second lap when the Boulder County Sherriff cars showed up with lights on. There were like 6 cops all around us watching us gear up but no one told us what was happening or not to get in the river. We were ready to put in when a passerby told us about a wall of water coming down the canyon and we should probably not get in the creek. Thanks again Boulder County cops for looking out for your citizens!

Here is the video: ‪Boulder Creek Flash Flood 2011‬‏ - YouTube

#15 ·
The cops were having a party ripping the plastic off new PFDs on the bridge above the park and blocking the exit from Ebin G Fine. I had to tell some tourons not to go down the stairs to the park as that area was unattended. I let them know of their oversight as I closed the door of their vehicle so we could pass. Funny the huge panic, yet huge holes.

#19 ·
I think the alleged 4' surge, must have been on 4 mile creek proper.

The BOCO gauge does show a +- 100 cfs spike while it would otherwise have been dropping for the day. Also the gauge may not be calibrated right as levels get higher than it normally sees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.