Old 05-06-2010   #11
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Utah used to be really bad with bootlegging years ago. They can still use it if they want to hassle you. Colorado plates are probable cause for possession (Booze or Drugs) in Utah and Arizona so they can pull you over and search your vehicle. If you are not speeding or being obnoxious the LEO's tend to look the other way in Western/South Western Utah. We always pack up the booze in duffel bags so it is not visible. The rangers won't hassle you for the most part unless you are belligerent or putting in at Gates of Lador.

BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #12
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
About 7-8 years ago, I was pulling up the rear for a group of us headed out to Powell for 5 days. Naturally, we brought beer with us, cuz who wants to drink over priced 3.2 on the lake? It was a holiday weekend, and about 5 miles after crossing the state line on 70 we come to a checkpoint. I'm thinking, "no biggie, DUI checkpoint, I hadn't been drinking." When our turn comes, the Utah Stater comes up to the window and asks if we have any alcohol in the vehicle, to which I responded "yes" Big mistake! After an hour and a half on the side of the road, the Stater was content that he'd found all there was to find and sent me down the road with a $565 ticket and without the $300+ in beer and liquor. I was pissed beyond belief, and almost went away in handcuffs after I saw them loading all the booze into an enclosed trailer. I got uppity and insisted that they pour it out while I watched, at which point the stater drew his taser and asked "are we gonna have a problem?" Luckily I had a calm headed friend to smooth things over or who knows what I might have done. One thing you never want to do is get between a Scotsman and his booze.

slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Know how to keep a Mormon from drinking all your beer?
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #14
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
Invite one of his Mormon friends along
fireman9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Yup...and there's much truth to that little joke.
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #16
Centennial, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
when it comes to Utah cops they use the old Chief Wiggam defense: 'Ah left tail light is lower than the other. Better pull um over.'

if you have a car with out of state plates and a little rust they WILL profile you and pull you over. Highway 40 through Duschesne County is the worst.

stay thirsty my friends
bobela4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #17
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have a magnetic 'God bless the USA' ribbon I affix to the tailgate above the licence plate when I hit the land of Zion. Also have no bumper stickers... I don't reccomend making your vehicle a tribute to Bob Marley and the Democratic Party, that shit don't fly in UT.
Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #18
NW, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1995
The TS mentioned 'purchased' alcohol specifically.
Does anyone know if the law applies to homebrew? If I had 2 cases of Toad Spit Stout confiscated, I'd be fairly agitated.
puhalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #19
cedar city, Utah
If the alcohol is above 3.2 and not marked with a state liquor store tag it can lead to fines or dumping of contents. I have never had friends fined for possession but they have had to dump at alcohol worth a pretty penny.

Never get pulled over with a keg in you automobile in Utah. From my understanding they can, and often do, confiscate your license (for 30 days) and pursue legal recourse.

Just drive in a low profile manner (bumper stickers are a red flag in many counties of Utah), be completely sober, have proper identification and insurance ready, don't have any open containers...and you will be fine.

The roads into Duchesne/Vernal can be horrible and the La Sal junction is a very common road block, though this normally around Jeep Safari. Stay away from those areas and you are likely fine.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote