Old 06-26-2008   #31
Be Glorious Drink Up

Originally Posted by IceCold View Post
When did this booty beer tradition start, anyway? Can anyone provide any trace of the origin, who started it? I started paddling in 98 and fortunately, my learning years with my numerous swims were not followed by booty beers. It wasn't until 2003 or 2004 when I learned of this tradition.

I heard a rumor it started up in Montana. Montanans are badass.
I started from the very first day I went boating in 1993 in Utah, the old timers said a booty was mandatory and something we should be stoked to do to clear our debt with the river god. Every time I have swam since I have drank a booty, as has everyone with me. That included 10 years boating in Montana. It is a glorious thing to drink a booty and you should be very proud to be able to honor the river gods and clear your debt. In Montana we would sometime drink a booty with a pickled cow ball in it at the start of the paddling season just for good luck.

I just don't know how anyone could NOT drink a booty. It is very dangerous to dance with the river gods while you have a booty debt.

craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #32
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
The question is, do you believe? If you believe in a higher power, drink the booty. If not, what sufferances you may endure may be worse than ghiardia. IMO, Booty Beers bring good luck.

IceCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #33
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
wow, some people really take this personnaly. Guardia is definitly not a myth, its found in most rivers and stream in the west, and yes you can get it from a booty if there is river water that contains the guardia cyst in the booty. If you have ever had it, its not fun.
bajabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #34
I would say the booty beer is originally a southern thing which is where most good things about boating have come from.

Drink you booty and shut the fuck up! Its good for you!
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #35
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
how to get the sh!ts

drinking from a shoe that you have been tromping around in the mud with is probably not that good of an idea. I got the affliction from drinking snow melt above tree line on a hut trip. It's the only time I have ever felt like I was going to die.

From the CDC:

How do you get giardiasis and how is it spread?

The Giardia parasite lives in the intestine of infected humans or animals. Millions of germs can be released in a bowel movement from an infected human or animal. Giardia is found in soil, food, water, or surfaces that have been contaminated with the feces from infected humans or animals. You can become infected after accidentally swallowing the parasite; you cannot become infected through contact with blood. Giardia can be spread by:
  • Accidentally putting something into your mouth or swallowing something that has come into contact with feces of a person or animal infected with Giardia.
  • Swallowing recreational water contaminated with Giardia. Recreational water includes water in swimming pools, hot tubs, jacuzzis, fountains, lakes, rivers, springs, ponds, or streams that can be contaminated with sewage or feces from humans or animals.
  • Eating uncooked food contaminated with Giardia.
  • Accidentally swallowing Giardia picked up from surfaces (such as bathroom fixtures, changing tables, diaper pails, or toys) contaminated with feces from an infected person.And PT will add this one. A nasty rubber, stinky booty that has been tromping around on the bank where a big ass bear took a sh!t.
possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #36
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Found a cure.... stop swimming
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #37
Nerds Nerds Nerds Nerds Nerds!
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #38
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Nerds Nerds Nerds Nerds Nerds!
Go back to the hospice Grandpa!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #39
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
My favorite after work drink is the post dog park uranium water gulp just before my III+ booty shot (C.P.). I've been drinking dog, cow, and sasquatch crap for a bit and if you know Durango boaters......

Fish Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #40
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Originally Posted by possumturd View Post
. It's the only time I have ever felt like I was going to die.

Yeah, that kind of sums it up. I tried to tough it out. A real mistake. I was out of action for about a month...building up to it and then recovering. Lost 11 pounds in 10 days at the worst of it.

I still don't know how I got it.

It was one of those things that reminds you how lucky you are to live in a country where getting flagyll and cipro is nothing. And a really sad, brutal reminder that millions out there have to suffer it endlessly for months and perhap die from it in the end for the lack of money to get the pills. [/lecture]

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote