Old 03-09-2005   #1
Bootie beers

you guys do these in Colorado don't you?

speicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #2
Of course.

The fact that some people have begun to turn their backs on this tradition shows blatant disrespect for the river and their fellow whitewater compadres. Fellow boaters, only you can prevent swimmers from backing out on the sacred art of booty drinking. No beer on hand? No worries, for emergencies you may substitute water in the booty. The next time you swim, be prepared to raise your booty high at the takeout and drink from its hollows in recognition of defeat by the all mighty river goddess. You owe it to the river for putting you in your place, and yet releasing you from its depths.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #3
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
uh, riiight ...

i'm calling BS on both you guys ... especially you kyle. when have you ever gotten me to drink anything out of anyone's cheddar-infested petri-dish neoprene sock? never. you might as well go ahead & lick the toilet seat at the gas station rest room while yer at it, it's probably more sanitary.

& it's not cuz i "began to turn my back" on the "sacred tradition" .. i just never participated in the first place when it became the super-neato thing to do like 2 years ago. in fact, i don't know any old guys who do this ...except for maybe mike harvey -- he would definitely do this.

i'll happily buy a couple rounds of Pepe Lopez at the nearest dive instead.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Gary E and his crew had a tradition where you get peed on at the takeout if you swim. Not sure if that's still happening...
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #5
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
If Speicher is the same one who I used to paddle with in Durango
I had to drown a bootie beer and be the shuttle bunny for them because I forgot my pfd on a lime creek trip
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #6
Oh yeah one in the same. Who is that out there? (I think I remeber that trip, in fact if this is Billy you took a sweet picture of me running Adrenaline that I still have hanging up to this day.) This is Greg, Jeff lived and boated in Durango too. I'm in Sacramento now and loving the smooth California Granite! Anyway if you'd like to visit or catch up give me a call at (916)203-3235. Jeff is in Denver and needs boaters that know him to call and hassle him to get wet more often!
Old 03-16-2005   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Yo Greg-

Good to hear you're still out there- thanks for the guide service down Bald Rock a few years ago, not to mention the ride to the airport (this is Josh).

Billy doesn't boat anywore, other than an occasional Class 1+ float- too busy impregnating & teaching the youngun' cohesive streams of swearwords.

Let me know if you're coming out this way anytime this summer and we'll take a trip into the mountains for some creeking- I owe you one.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #8
Hi Josh,
I'm thinking of two possible CO trip times this spring. CA is going to be sweet as well but if I can make sure I get some good stuff out there I may be able to make it happen. Anyway I was thinking of mid-May and around the T-ride Bluegrass fest. Anyway obviously the Telluride trip would be in SW CO but the mid-May thing will be front range. Any suggestions on timing? If you are around I'd love to take you up on that offer to check out some of the CO goods! I haven't boated out there since I lived in Durango in maybe the summer of '98.
If you can make another trip out here...Everything is running out here right now and we are going to have a really long and big season I think but its always weather dependent. The high sierra stuff won't probably even drop down low enough until late July I'm guessing...especailly down south they've gotten pounded...However the mountains around Tahoe just saw upwards of 5 feet in the last week and more is falling.
Take care