Old 05-21-2013   #21
Fact: The ritual must be followed

Fact: milk is the preferred non-alcoholic beverage but like pointed out, who brings milk to the river, so ANY beverage is fully legal and legitimate.

Fact: Whatever you do, don't say "I don't drink booties", it's like saying "I have Bird Flu and nobody likes me so stay away".

Fact: I have done a pickled cow ball in a bootie beer for good luck at the beginning of the season. (Thats how Montana rolls). Pre-emptive booties are the ultimate in good luck.

Fact: Nobody has ever contracted Giardia or any other disease from bootie's. I have witnessed over 250 booties and nobody ever contracted anything.

craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #22
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by craporadon View Post
Fact: Whatever you do, don't say "I don't drink booties", it's like saying "I have Bird Flu and nobody likes me so stay away".
I'm fine with no one liking me because I do not do bootie beers. ;^)

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #23
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I think whatever drink it is will be OK. The point is...punishment for swimming. It's the bootie that's gross, more than what's inside it. I drank a cooler out of my bootie last time I swam. What a way to wreck a nice cool cooler. Good incentive to not swim.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #24
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
“If you're still boat'n you're just between swims.” Corollary: If you don't swim you're not having fun. Another corollary: You can never fall off the edge unless you've had to balance on it. Still another: When you dance on the edge every once and awhile you fall off.
Besides my Chacos don't hold beer so it would be a waste of good beer. I never did figure out what the big deal was. If I had to be rescued I bought the beer. That makes a lot more sense.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #25
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
When did this dumb-ass booty beer thing start anyways? I never heard of it when I was starting kayaking in 1994, and I never heard or saw one through my hard creeking days (95-2007). I know people were doing it by then. I am happy to supply the beer if my shitshow is cleaned up by others, but there is no way I am drinking out of a booty. Especially one with my nasty foot fungus in it.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #26
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Is there such a thing as a "nondrinker" who wasn't once a hardcore drinker? If not, I say you've had your share. If so, have a beer, regardless of the stupid booty.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #27
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I can't believe all the people dissing the bootie beer. The point, as already stated, is to discourage future swims in a way that provides your crew with great amusement at the swimmer's expense. More importantly I see it as a juvenile ritual to be thankful that you've come off the river unscathed after an unfortunate situation. The experience is intended to be unpleasant to remind you of all the pleasant things you have to be thankful for. Drinking gatorade, root beer floats, or candy bars out of your booty is just stupid and no tribute to the river gods. It seems there is some consensus here that milk is the preferred non-alcoholic beverage and certainly seems to be sufficiently unpleasant to serve the purpose. Most people don't have ice cream at the take out so not having milk in the car either is not an acceptable excuse to forego paying your dues. Now quit being pussies and get drinking!
JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #28
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
to clarify-yeah you have to do it at least once ritually (done it) ..maybe even once a year but every swim ain't no deterrent it is insult on top of injury way after urban So. Platte..though you would deserve it for flipping there, playing excepted...I 'll find another way to pay tribute to Tlaloc...still.insist the drinking part is mandatory
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #29
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
What if drinking the beer would result in an extended stay at the county jail. Would a non-alcoholic beer be excepted?
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #30
Gunnison, 81230
Paddling Since: 2005
A bootie filled with water out of the food cooler.

wabisabimike is offline   Reply With Quote