Old 07-07-2009   #1
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Boofington Heights - High Water JW/Specncer

My latest creation called Boofington Heights w/some high water Joe Wright/Spencer action...

Boofington Heights

Big South is officially in w/ some great action and flows over the weekend. Come'n'git sum.

Anybody got the footage of Leif A. stepping it up? Sickness it was!

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #2
Kevin got him in Double Trouble and Cool World, and Boston Nate's camera has some stills from DT. Hopefully the video will make it on here sooner rather than later.

Nice post of JW/Spencer, definitely underrated runs when it's flowing good.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
We put on Joe/Spencer that day after those photos, and it was my first time out there. Even with putting in below the burl at the top of Joe, it was a really quality run top to the bottom. It's surprising those aren't talked about more.

I did a quick cut of the bit of Big South video I got on Sunday and will post it once Vimeo finishes converting it.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Love the pics of the carnito boof sequence. Amazing what a good bit of water does in a small creekbed. JW/Spencer heights is a great combo, and the tiny creek to pushy river is a very cool experience.

Seems like JW/SH gets lost in the shadow of the big south, which is too bad. Its a long haul up there from much of the front range, but its worth it. I'll be back for more next year for sure!

Only downside is the F'ing skeeters! I'm still itching my legs.

Looking forward to seeing some of that holy beatdown big south footage.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #5
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Great photos Frenchy, especially the entrance to the gnar with Evan about to hit the seam.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #6
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
What? The fistofboofdojo url was taken?

Neato. Looks juicy.

How much for one of those units in Boofington Heights? Anything in the low 100's? Looks like urban yuppy sprawl.
Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #7
Shameless plug of my blog. Bring your boats down here and lets do some kayaking. Ecuador is the business.

Bigger Spiders than the ones in Colorado

check it out
hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It was my first visit to the Poudre drainage yesterday... ran Big South yesterday and JW/SH today.

You guys, up there in the Fort, have some HIGH quality H2O located in your backyard!!

My God, what an amazing drainage! The only thing I can't believe is that it took my dumbass 6 years to drive 4 hours and run that sh$t up there.

I have to agree with deepsouthpaddler though... those skeeters SUCK. Next time I won't forget the bug dope!

I think I may come back next Monday/Tuesday to re-run the Big South. Some of the rapids with yesterdays flows were a bit too stout for me. I was hoping to catch it with a medium (even a lower medium) flow next week... Does anybody have a guess if it will hold out til then?

How about any guesses on whether the JW/SH will continue flowing?
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #9
Marko I think I'm going to try to take Tuesday off and run it. It'd be nice to boat with you.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
My guess is big south will definitely be running good in a week, probably nice medium levels. Natural flow is tapering off quickly and flows out of long draw are coming down too. Should be a pretty good season for big south as well. My guess would be most of July. Long draw res is full and spilling over right now, so they have a lot of water to release for irrigation downstream. They are also bringing over a good bit of water in the grand ditch into long draw since its been a pretty good water year, especially with all the june rain.

If big south is going good, spencer heights should still be good, but joe wright is a different story. Not sure how the plumbing works on joe wright since it has a res at the top too.

I was at big south in early june, and the skeeters hadn't come out yet. So nice. Made the mistake of not putting on the bug spray and got annihilated a week ago. I'll be ready for skeeter battle this weekend.

One boater had a full mosquito suit last year. Kinda goofy looking, but certainly functional, and nicer than itching for a week afterward.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote