Old 04-21-2011   #11
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The drop bag full of beer and keeping the blades in the current usually evens out the lack of floor. Just make sure you cinch that beer bag tightly closed, or someone's going swimming for floaters!

Also, a future motor purchase is not out of the question.

yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #12
Lindon, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
When fishing on Lake of the Woods up in Ontario we sometimes used Drift Socks to keep us from drifting too fast on windy days. The idea is that the wind is pushing you accross the surface but the water below the surface is not really moving. The sock drags behind the boat and slows your drift. I hadnt really thought about a river application until "Whip" mentioned using a 5 gallon bucket over the side. In theory this would pull the boat down the river as opposed to holding it in place on a lake. I'll have to try it next time I have to row against the wind.
Cabela's: Cabela's Advanced Angler Pro Series Drift Socks

Bilge Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #13
HSS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I think the key thing here is the fastest current is not on the surface, the surface water is being slowed by that same wind and friction with the air. The faster current is 2-3 layers down, the 16 is catching more of the quicker current while the 14 is probably riding higher in slower water. Think of the river like a tube, everything on the outsides is slowing the current (bottom, banks, air) and the middle of the tube doesn't have anything to slow it down. Each layer of water from the sides in is moving a bit differently.
I think it's called a "laminar" flow. A little more speed a few inches under. It's why those swimmers go zipping by. Seems like 15 / 20 years ago, alot of the 14's had smaller tubes and wrap floors, sat a little lower and tracked awesome. It's been breed out of a lot of them with larger tubes and self bailers, with an emphasis on responsiveness.

A responsive boat is great in the whitewater, but I'll take a good tracker in the wind any day.
rafterswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #14
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Laminar Flow

Yeah, that's it. Another option is to drop you're floor so that it sags into the "laminar flow." It will catch more of the faster moving water and speed you up a hair. As soon as the rapids on the lower Kenebec were done, you would here every floor on the river squeel. Needed to get off the flat water fast before you fell off the bubble. Dropping from 4600 to fish flow on the flats made for a horrible end to the day.
ArgoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #15
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
If in windy open water I'm thinkin of putting some lead weights on the lower edge of my parachute hammock and clip each end to the tips of my cat tubes
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011   #16
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
My 15' bucket boat seems to track faster in wind then self bailers.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote