Old 11-10-2010   #1
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Boating on Maui?

We're heading to Maui in a few weeks. I would like to at least do some sea kayaking. Anyone have any recommendations for that or whitewater? I'm not taking gear, so I'll need that too.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I was just there a month ago for the first time. Kayaking was not on the agenda for me, but I think WW kayaking is slim. I would bet that there are a couple rivers you could actually kayak down, but it would involve hiking your boat the entire length and requiring a big rain. This would be an odd activity on Maui.

So my thought would be don't even bother, but if you do figure out a place to rent a boat and a place to use it, it would be cool to hear about it. Surfing waves in the ocean would probably be your best bet if it's possible to procure a WW boat (again not sure you can rent them) but where there's good surf there are all kinds of weird surfing protocols that I don't understand and locals are territorial around there so you better know what you're doing.

My take would be that you're much better off doing more natural Maui things like surfing on a surf board (good beginner breaks in Maui), or taking out a SUP or windsurfing or hiking to waterfalls.

In terms of paddling around in an ocean kayak, I didn't get a chance to do it in Maui, but the Maui Revealed guidebook (which is THE guidebook) had some little trip they recommended to what they call the "unnamed beach" that sounded cool. But maybe a guru here has some real expertise on the subject. It also seems you always get stuck with the sit on top ocean kayaks when you rent. A real ocean kayak sure looks like a lot more fun.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009

I would take a look at sea kayaking out to a place called the "fishbowl". If I remember correctly, it is to the south east of La Perouse Bay (South of McKenna) and located out at the edge of a lava flow. The great thing about the fishbowl is that the water in the area is too shallow for anything but a sea kayak and the only other way to get there is a really rough hike . Those factors limit the number of people that show up there. Take your snorkel gear: the snorkeling there is fantastic.

Commercial guides do lead trips out the fishbowl, and a guide is probably a good idea if you don't know much about sea kayaking. Different set of hazards from WW.

Have fun.
"Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." -- A.A. Milne
TRSCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Do a search on boatertalk. I found some stuff there when I went to maui a few years back.

I tried to figure out a way to get boating into the equation, but gave up. There were too many other things to do on maui that were world class and non-boating. I decided to save the kayak for when I returned to colorado.

Whitewater is there... its just balls to the wall V/V+ creeking with essentially no local support network. Only things I have heard about Maui whitewater were from hard core groups that brought all their creeking gear there.

There are many guided sea kayak tours, but I avoided those as I had a feeling they would be flatwater gaper cruises.

Maui was one of the best trips I have taken. Scuba, snorkeling at the fishbowl, hiking to the blowhole (incredible geyser-like feature caused by wave action), indiana jones style water fall hiking missions, whales everywhere.

Have a great trip. Agree that Maui revealed is a great guide book.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #5
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I just got back from Maui a few weeks ago. I have no idea if there is any whitewater. There may be but my guess is that it is pretty exploratory in nature. If you are a kayaker already you will find Stand Up Paddling really fun and a quicker learning curve than surfing. There is a shop right outside of the Kahalui airport Surf Shop | Kiteboarding | Windsurfing Maui | Stand Up Paddle Surfing they rent SUP boards and have a great selection of sizes. If you rent a board around 11' you can tour on it and surf with it so you can get your paddling fix and play around in the surf. We snorkeled off our boards and did tours down the coast looking for turtles in between surf sessions. The guys at the shop are super helpful and will help point you the right places that are close to where ever you are staying. I am jealous, Maui is as fun as anywhere on the planet.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote