Old 05-10-2005   #1
Boating near Moab

Has anyone done the river stretch down Rt 128 near Moab? The section we are looking to do next week is Dewey bridge to Big Ben take out.

We have a group of class II/III boaters and are planning to do this section during high water. Does anyone know if there are any rapids we should be concern about? Are the rapids scoutable at high water levels?

Thanks for your comments…Lou

2 Ski Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #2
alta, Utah

if you are a class 3 paddler you should have no difficulty w/ the section you mentioned. I took my kids there to teach them to paddle, ferry, and make eddy turns...the few rapids you will run are easily boat scouted and require no real "moves" to run... there's plenty of room. If you have beginners with you, stear them clear of a large strong eddy that forms on the river left side of a rapid called cloudburst...if I remember right, cloudburst is about the 4th (or so) rapid you will encounter and easily identified by a red cliff on river left. What we have always called "White's Ranch rapid" occurs as you leave professor valley and enter the canyon. It begins with a right hand bend in the river as the current heads toward the wall that makes up the right shore....ALthough I have never seen it thrash any one badly, there is one hole (at some levels) that lurks on the river right hand side over by that wall. The waves in the middle (river center) of that rapid are of the "big and bouncy" type...that's where you want to be anyway. I hope I didn't take all the fun out of it for you..

barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #3
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Barry is right about the strong eddy at Cloud Burst rapid on the left, especially at this higher level. Once at 14,000 CFS, I saw a canoe go into that eddy and almost stand up on end in a downwoard swirl! The paddler was able to keep it up, but he recirced in the eddy a few times before he was able to break the eddyline and get the heck out.

There will be some big waves. If I remember right, there are couple other strong eddies to watch out for.
Chief Niwot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #4
Thank you gentleman!!

I do appreciate your input, I plan to stop into Moab and talk to a few outfitters that run that section. They should have a map with information on the location of the rapids.

2 Ski Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #5
student, slacker, nose picker, ski boot fitter/fly fishin' guide
Stop in at Canyon voyages in Moab.. they have a good map of the section you are doing for free plus are really good with lots of other river info. they're on the right as you head into town before the first stoplights i think. have fun.. great section for II-III boaters.
chili is offline   Reply With Quote