Old 02-24-2010   #1
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Boating Near Grand Junction in Early March?

I will be traveling through Colorado during the first weekend in March and will be stopping in Grand Junction. Are there any rivers that will be flowing in/around the area? Anything II-V is good, I just need to get out and paddle (it was a long winter in the mid-west).

Any information would be awesome.

dfindley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #2
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Westwater Forever!!!

ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Westwater is a classic desert canyon about an hour to the west of grand junction. In march its running at good flows for play (low) and has some nice waves for surfing. Its 17 miles, is well away from the road on the run, has lots of flatwater, some fun class III in the middle of the run, and along flatwater paddle out. Shuttle is about 1.5 hrs.

The shoshone run on the colorado through glenwood canyon would also work. Its about 1-1.5 hrs to the east of grand junction. Its a short (1.6 mile) class III run that is roadside. You can hike or bike the shuttle along a riverside paved bike trail. You can lap it easily. Flows will be low, but if you want to get wet, it will suffice.

There is more flatwater on the colorado and on the gunnison, but these are your best bets. Only reason they are running is dam release.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #4
C. Springs, Colorado
Is the river free of ice yet over there? First weekend in March is only about 10 days away. I'd call the ranger station at Westwater and make sure it's open and you can get a permit.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #5
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Flatwater/paddle out

Thanks for the info!

How long are the flat water sections and the paddle out for Westwater? Trying to decide if i want to take my playboat or if that would make the day unnecessarily long and hard.
dfindley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Westwater is definitely a playboat run. Some good waves in there. The paddle out is long (6-7 miles?), but the scenery is beautiful. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but the paddle in is probably 6-7 miles of I/II, the rapids proper are about 2-3 miles of classic desert class III, and the paddle out is about 6-7 miles of class flat.

It sounds like a lot of flatwater, and it is. Never minded it when I was there though, such a cool canyon.

If you don't want the flatwater and want a quicker run, just do shoshone. Rapids and play are not as good as westwater, but it doesn't require 14 miles of I/II either.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #7

As of today the road in to WW is open, but there is about a foot and a half of snow in the vicinity of the ranger station, including the ramps. Best info is that there is no ice as far down as Funnel Falls, but nothing is known for sure below that.

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote