Old 03-31-2006   #1
boating in Utah recs?

My girlfriend and I are traveling out West this summer. In late May we drive from colorado to Utah (Bryce Canyon, Zion etc) and are looking for some paddling. My girlfriend has a good roll but hasn't paddled much so think we are looking for class II/III to start. Any recs?

spacecadet76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #2
MUDDY CREEK!!! if it has water is maybe the most spectacularly scenic beginner run in the region,a tight sandstone box canyon with some 2+.Fremont river through Capitol Reef is class 3 might have water then.Around the San Rafeal campground you have several options of varying difficulty.'River Runners Guide to Utah and aAdjacent Areas'is what you need to look at.Virgin River is in and near Zion.

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #3
Deso-Gray is an epic 80 mile multi-day II-III run, and the take-out 10ish miles can be run as a day trip just north of Green River, UT on I-70. Put in by nefertitti rock and run down to the big boat ramp I believe @ gunnisun butte. You can go further downstream, but there is a dam down towards town to watch out for.

Deso Gray is the best learning multi-day I'm aware of, and the permits are fairly easy to get from the BLM.
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Late May might be pushin' it with the snowpack in the Virgin River drainage this year, but you never know. Last year it ran huge and was unreal.

Your best bets: Zion National Park-Virgin River - below satans staircase to the visitors center (you've gotta' get a special permit from the visitors center now to get your car in there) beautiful boating though. And if the flows are right and you want some class IV satan's staircase is one of the best desert runs out there.

Virgin River Gorge - Class III, IV at big water. It's a long run but beautiful. Along I-15 just pass the arizona-utah border down to the nevada border (pick up some NV beer!)

Sevier River - beautiful mountain creek, class III, dam released flows.

My pops has a website that's got info on most of these and he knows all there is to know for the region. The website doesn't have a full guide, but some pics and flow guides. Post back if you've got questions.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #5
Bugtussle, Kentucky
cayo is right on...Muddy Creek in the Swell was one of the most surreal floats I've ever done. Good car camping, great hiking, and a spectacular 15 mile run through the Chutes.

End of May should be perfect. Ran well into June last year.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote