Old 11-05-2014   #1
Boating in Europe/Australia

I am planning to spend a couple months abroad between January and June and I would like to go somewhere with good paddling. Is anyone familiar with the whitewater options in Ireland, Germany, or Australia from January-June?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

nward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014   #2
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
paddling abroad....

Those 3 aren't the places that come to mind first when you think of paddling abroad for sure. South America and New Zealand would be better options and plenty of stuff there.

If for some reason you are limited to those 3 places, I know theres some paddling vids on You tube for Ireland which I saw a short time back. Thats also the rainy season there so you should be good at least for the first part of that time frame. Germany may be paddleable in the latter half during spring with runoff. I dont know about mid winter. Australia has some stuff in the western part of the country like the Murray river.Maybe google river rafting in west Australia for detailed info.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps you a bit. Hopefully others with more experience here will chime in.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014   #3
Auckland, Arkansas
Aha yes! for whitewater your best bet is Heading down to Tasmania or possibly south Australia and maybe Northern Victoria around the Blue Mountains... But then again for the same money fly to Auckland from Aus and I'll help you out and take you paddling!
callum.mcmahon711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014   #4
Auckland, Arkansas
I'm not an expert in Australia so I wouldn't trust much of what I said. Tasmania is the only one I know that has good water
callum.mcmahon711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #5
Essen, Germany
Paddling Since: 2009
if you go to the South of Germany, then use the fact that there are neither border controls nor any necessity to exchange currency between Germany, Austria, Italy, and Slovenia. In some places like the Soca river valley (4 hours from Munich), you have an amazing paddling infrastructure...
Docennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014   #6
Paddling Since: 96
The Soca is one of the great rivers in the world. Many Europeans travel past many beautiful alpine rivers to paddle this Slovenian jewel.
Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #7
Essen, Germany
Paddling Since: 2009
many rivers, and that includes the Soca, have restricted access in winter; but in the South of Germany you'll be perfectly positioned for spring runoff across all of the Eastern and Central alps, and there's a lot of year-round stuff if you're not too particular about only paddling class XYZ...
Docennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #8
Corvallis, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
I've heard that Queensland has limitless super high quality class 3-5 that runs during a rainy season between february and june. I don't know where you would find beta or get plugged into what is anecdotally a very small but dedicated group of local paddlers
dinsdalw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014   #9
I appreciate the replies! I'm leaning torwards Australia and can hopefully get some time in NZ too.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
nward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014   #10
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
I lived in Canberra ACT for a brief 3 months and got to do a bunch of class 3-5 stuff in the area which was super fun. Hiking to the put-in of the Goodradigbee with a gang of kangaroos lounging about was one of my favorite experiences.

For general oz boating info, check out:

If you're going to be down near Canberra, here's the main internet forum:

I never got to paddle up north, but I did check out the Tully, looked pretty sweet, and if you're up near Caines that's be a go-to for you. There a fb group for paddlers from around there:

The only drawback I found was that it was very hard to rent/demo a boat or any gear. Everything is about 50% more expensive in Oz so people were pretty reluctant to loan out stuff to a rando american chick. Also, I spent a week trying to go paddling in NZ, and ended up just soloing a lot of class 2. NZ in particular gets a lot of kayak tourists from the states who talk big but then eat shit, so people were kind of wary of boating with tourists. That may also have been because I was there in August (i.e. winter) so there weren't a ton of boaters around, everyone was skiing, but I really had a hard time rallying people when I visited NZ. BUT still one of the best trips ever, and you should be there at a more boater-friendly time of year. Have fun!

yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote