Old 01-30-2007   #1
Sales Rep, Summit County
Paddling Since: 2001
Boating Costa Rica?

Has anyone boated in Costa Rica and if you have where is the best place to go?
I am guessing that you should have a guide service down there and I would probably have to rent a boat. If you know anything that would be great. Thanks

bjprust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #2
I just got back from a trip earlier in January. 3 friends an I went with Costa Rica Rios. We had a great time, so what the hell, I'll give'em a nice plug...
We did their "week of rivers", a different stretch of Class III/IV every day for a week. The highlight is the Lower Pecuare with an overnight at their jungle camp. They have a warehouse full of boats - many new this year.
They're really nice folks with a very together operation there - a bunch of Idaho ex-pats.
They're online at
Shoot me an email if you want to know more.

alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #3
head to the Turrialba area. that is where most of the companies for the pacuare are located. check out rainforest world. good folks there. there are some great rivers in the area. check out the reventazon and the pacuare. pura vida.
catfishjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #4
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Here are my lessons learned from doing a trip to Costa Rica.

1. Turriaba is the meca for Costa Rica boating. Make arrangements to stay at the This place is very much boater friendly and can help you to arrange all your shuttles and boat rentals. I think we stayed for $10 a night. A nice tip to the hotel employees is apprecitated for helping to arrange all of your trips.

2. If you can avoid renting a car do so. The public transportation system is pretty effective and will save you tons of money.

3. Rent a boat rather than bringing your own. You may end up breaking even on the transaction but in the end the hassle is not worth it having your own boat, even if you dont get to paddle the newest model boat. The play is really not that great its more about the experience. Also renting a boat there helps to support the boating community.

4. Plan to spend around 20-40 a day for boating this will be the cost of the shuttle.

5. At the hotel they can hook you up with guides to take you down the rivers. They cost about $30-40 in addition to your shuttle fee. I would recomend this for the lower pacuare and the reventazon. In the end it may be better to go through costa rica rios for the day for something like this.

6. Take a day to go to taboccon resort and to see arenal ( One of the most active volcanos in the world. It shoots out huge glowing boulders very amazing.

7. Get a copy of chasing Jaguars which will fill you in on any other information.

there ya go.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #5
Leadvillian, Colorado
definately some good points

I think Ben's got a lot of good ideas about this country, but I have to disagree with him concerning the play. I think it's world class, but I might not have the experience or the skills Ben has...

I do have some boats to rent, so if you're interested you can email me at or call me at (506) 232-4293, if you call from the states you usually have to dial 011 to get out..

Good luck with your trip.
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #6
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991

Yeah man I hear you about the play aspect. I need to mellow that comment a little.... I guess for me I was so excited about the experience of paddling big water in a jungle environement. Plus when I went I did not go with a guide which sometimes helps to find all the sweet spots. We did find a couple of sweet spots on the pacuare the water just felt soooo big coming from Colorado.

And thanks so much for giving me the benefit of the doubt so far my "skills" but sadly that probably does not play much into my interpretation of how great the play is down there. Once again it was more about the experience.

BJ or anyone else if you would like to talk to someone and ask more questions send me a PM i can give you my number i would be glad to talk with you about stuff. Not that I am an expert on costa rica or anything like that.
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #7
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
If you enjoy your boat or want to sell it, bring it with. Ive got my boat here and the traveling isn't that bad. Only had to pay once to get it on a bus, and it was 2$. Plus it is really easy to sell boats, and all your gear. If your coming now, Im hoping to be on the upper Pacuare on sunday, and the upper sarapaquii on monday before heading back to the cold. (well at least denver has lots of snow for once, and the runoff will be great). The Hotel Interamericana is for sure the place to stay.

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote

costa rica