Old 04-03-2006   #11
In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
Originally Posted by COUNT
The money she makes supports my habit.
Taking pictures? Skiing? Kayaking? Or is it your other habit?
My guess would be all of the above Sounds like a good life to me!!!! Now I just need to find me a sugar-mamma!!

kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #12
pnw, Washington
I have the optio and love the pictures. Took it out the first time last weekend, was very surprised by the quality pictures.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Broadway Photo Warning

FYI - If you follow that link to Broadway Photo be forewarned that they're kind of a shady seller:

Not to say you won't get a good deal from them, but many have had problems.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #14
so i went ahead and got the peli case but now have trouble deciding where to put it. If it is behind the seat, my stern stis real low in the water and it gets kind of squirly. My second trip down Talulah yesterday i put it between my legs and that help a bit but, if i ever needed to wet exit, it might be an issue. Any hints or tips would be great. Thanks
huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #15
Last spring in California, I toted my 35mm SLR Canon EOS elan 7 in a 10-year-old peli-box 1200 on nearly every trip, shot slide film, and had no problems. The problem came in that the peli case rested between my legs, I couldn't fit it in any other place in my Magnum, though I never tried very hard to find an alternative spot to put it. This is good and bad; good in that everytime I got out to scout I conveniently grabbed the case and clipped it onto my hoopy (webbing belt) so it was always with me when I was ashore. In our dry climate, by the time anyone was ready to run a drop, I was dry and in position for the shot, and, if needed, for safety. I think anytime that you are boating a class of water that challenges you, especially something you don't know, you will be out of your boat doing out-of-boat activities and so, for me, setting up an SLR shot didn't seem to add any further hassles. The bad part is having to stuff a 1200 pelican box somewhere in your boat, and if it isn't between your legs you won't be as inclined to pry it out and use it.

I now also own a pentax Optio wpi. Great little camera for what it is, and if you can get relatively close to your subject, and there's adequate lighting, you cannot beat the quality and convenience of having six, waterproof megapixels in your PFD pocket. It's limited in that it suffers from the standard point & shoot delay, and if you are in a low light situation (like an afternoon, Rocky Mountain rainsquall in a deep canyon) its optics will likely be insufficient to get the action shot you are seeking.

I've been using the pentax exclusively in the ocean, and even on overcast days there's plenty of light for action shots. I think that in the Sierra, in spring and summer, the rivers are bright and sunny enough to warrant me stuffing the pentax into a pocket rather than lugging the film, SLR, box, et al. That is my plan this season, so long as my pics still turn out good. Make sure to note that in cold water/weather the standard Pentax battery will last maybe two hours at best.

As for the durability of the peli-box, my 1200 has been ever reliable for the past ten years. When I shot video with it, I would shoot a drop from the top and then lock it back up, toss it down into the plunge pool, and a buddy would rescue it and resume filming from below. The foam it came with has been sufficient for outfittting both a video and SLR camera. Make sure to layer both the floor and ceiling before making your custom template for whatever camera you are using, and thoroughly test the box in the bathtub, sink, or in a pool before setting out. If it leaks, send it back until you get one that is bomber.

Anyone know where to find the portable mini-solar panels that will charge a digi cam deep in the backcountry?
Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #16
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Camera guys,

I'm looking at two waterproof cameras and I'd like some help deciding.
1. The Pentax Optio W10...waterproof to 5ft, found it for $240
2. The Olympus Stylus 720 SW...wp to 10ft, shock proof from 5ft, found it for $360..about a half inch smaller

Obviously, one's cheaper. But the other is "shockproof" somewhat. I called pentax and they make no suck claim about the optio. Any of you more savvy photographers care to weigh in about any other differences that I'm too tech illiterate to see?

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #17
pnw, Washington
Bought the optio, like it. No clue about the tech of it.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #18
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Just a quess, but since the price of the Optio has come down a lot and it has been out a while, I'll bet Pentax will soon be coming out with the new improved model. I have the Optio and like it. I just looked at the specs on the Olympus and it looks a little higher tech with more megapixals.
I also own a Canon 20D and tend to grab the Optio when I go boating for the convenience.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #19
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
just two bits: get the olympus.

i have noticed in several photos from both the olympus and the pentax mentioned above that that pentax shot "oversaturated" reds, but i haven't had any such issues with past olympus cameras i have used....

good luck.
Alpine Arms
Team Dagger
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #20
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Went into Mike's and Wolf camera shops and talked to the sales guys. Have to admit that they sold me on the Olympus. 7.1 pixels, 2.8 shots/sec, and he threw the demo across the shop to the concrete floor, picked it up and took a picture of me. It can also be completely submerged to ten feet and take pics. He said that the pic quality and speed with the high speed card was the same as the entry level SLRs. Only two downsides that I saw were the special memory required and the price. Anyone who's not trying to become the next Tao have any reasons not to get this camera? I'd love to hear from someone who's not trying to earn comission.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote