Old 06-04-2011   #21
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
You guys sure like to talk about dicks.

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #22
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'll give you one blast of the whistle and I'm runnin you down, and you owe me beer for hanging in my line. That's just the rules of the road, or river as the case may be.

Mr. Shlitzenturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #23
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
With a cat, you should make effort to eddy out or hold position, at least a bit of an effort. Once you've made your effort, they should clear for you. Yeah, cat frames can cause injury. If he doesn't then get out of the way, 'd have yelled at him GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY, I'M COMING IN FOR A SURF.

If they don't move, you have a responsibility to not hit someone on the river if you can avoid it. Even if they are a dick and wrong. As others said, you don't really know what is going on with them and they could be seriously hurt or killed (unlikely but wouldn't that suck?)
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #24
Paddling Since: 2002
if the kayaker is not gonna get out of the way of my raft then they are gonna get run over. my 14 nrs is higher in the food chain
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #25
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Although I've never actually made contact with a kayaker with any boat I'm "driving"- we all joke about the river having "speed bumps".

Had a few close calls when they wouldn't get out of the way but that was all. I try to avoid them a bit- but if they are being stubborn and think I'm gonna move the barge for them- it ain't happening.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #26
Thomas, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1985
Yep, its motorcycle vs. mack truck physics ...even more so when talking about an 8 load raft or a gear boat coming down stream. I'd never want to hurt anyone and go out of my way to try to let the tupperware play if I can easily avoid a popular play spot when pushing rubber, but in the end its just like the joke goes: "what do rafers call play kayaks? ...Speed bumps."
ericonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #27
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
This is commical.....its not even low water season and people are at each other.
As an avid kayaker and rafter (family rig) I try and be courtious when I can and considerate of everyone no matter what they use to get down river.
If we have a little respect for each other, I think all of our days will go better.

SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #28
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Yeah I was gonna mention this is one of those threads that will rise faster than the waters here in CO!

It was started yesterday and already has over 1000 views! 5000 views by mid week!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #29
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Rafts always win, kayaks can get out of the way. He was asking to get run over.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #30
Good thread, and I learned two new words: "Darwinized" and "bulldozation".

Rich is online now   Reply With Quote