Old 04-27-2005   #11
Re: Boat Thief BUSTED Today!

Originally Posted by Don
One of our customers called in today to say that his boat for stolen from Wash Park area over the weekend and wanted us to keep an eye out for it. And, sure enough the guy who swiped the kayak brought it in because he got a great deal on it and it was too small for him. I recognized the boat because I had just done a custom foot foam for the kayak two weeks ago. I called the own right away, and while I was on the phone the thief split and drove away.

But, not before I got his plate numbers, personal description, and vehicle description.

He was a white guy, 6' -6'2 , about 220 lbs. He had light brown hair, shaved into a "mohawk", and had an ear ring. He was driving a black (or dark color) Jeep Wrangler w/ Tan top. Plate number 819-KBY. This information has been given to the police, but keep your eyes out for anyone with a freshly shaven head.

He seemed to be a paddler, because he wanted a different boat.

It's that time one year again, and I don't mean paddling season. With the end of the college school year we always see a rise in boat theft this time of the year. Wash Park around DU and Boulder get hardest hit. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR GEAR ON TOP OF YOUR CAR OVERNIGHT. Just like in this case the straps and lock cables were cut and left behind. Be smart and don't be a victim.
Great job on foiling him. I'm just glad I'm not 220 lbs because I just shaved my head two days ago and I am 6 foot.

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #12
right on!! so he realized you knew what was up and ran leaving the boat with you!! YOU ROCK!!!!

redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #13
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
can we castrate the ba#$%&d?

I like working with sharp knives......
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #14
in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
Don's tale is a rare one

so rarely do we catch the scumbags that rip people off... that was awesome to read about, and really too bad that the owner and a few paddling buddies did not have the priveledge of first encounter.

aint no kinda justice like rough justice
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #15
Yea, kudos to Don.

I agree that the police don't follow up on this type of crime as much as parking tickets or speeding tickets.

But, be careful about all this talk of rough justice. If you confront him, he will probably get really scared. A scared person can be aggressive and dangerous. It doesn't take much to bash in your knee or head. Even if you do more damage to him, it's not worth it.

Also, what if he has a gun in his truck?
stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #16
Indian Hills, Colorado
..hope that schmuck has read this board and is shitting his shorts.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #17
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
nice work!

Now that's customer service!

Don, what shop do you work at. I'm sure more than a few paddlers would like to shake your hand and/or buy you a beer! I rarely get down to D-town from Summit County, but if I do, I'll stop in.

I'm going to post a link to this thread on Local Paddler, Boater Talk, too if you haven't posted there already.
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #18
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94

mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #19
So I found who owns that black jeep....

Bryan Wilson
1683 Poplar St.
Denver, CO 80220

You all can use this info as you see fit
detective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #20
Stealing a boat is like stealing a horse but I still vote against violence. Dude should be seriously shamed. I do wonder if he's read this thread.

johnny portage is offline   Reply With Quote