Old 02-21-2007   #11
To answer your question....I paddled the Jackson Fun. I would definitely try both out though before buying one. You might find that the extra volume in the 4fun will help with the river running and you might not lose much in play. I've heard good things about the Superstar too but have not paddled one yet. Although I thought it was designed more as a playboat and the fun series was a better river runner. I'm going try paddling all 3 myself before I make a decision.

vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #12
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Liquid Logic CR is pretty dope. Give it a look. Can't speak towards the Jackson's, but I've always heard great things.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #13
That all helps really well. I guess overall I'm not necessarily looking for an excellent river runner as much as boat that can handle some bigger water. The Big EZ that I have tends to get stuck a decent amount in decent sized holes. I'm assuming that that has to do with the lack of volume for its size. Is it safe to say that a boat that has more volume gets stuck less in holes like that? Obviously if a boat has a ton of volume its harder to throw around...
schgred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #14
Its actually the opposite. More volume more stuck once you are in there. The issue can come if you are stern or bow heavy. Added volume of like a creek boat helps keep you on top of the water and in better control going into holes so that you can boof over it or move around it. Lower volume boats actually can go underneath holes and was out quicker once stuck.

The point being that if you are paddling a play boat on big water, you need to keep your boat trim(balanced bow to stern) in order to be able to stay on line.

the CR is dope, and the additional bow rocker will help it ride over holes.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The Big EZ is an awfully good river runner. Unless you're just dying to get a new boat, I'd say stick with it. I don't think you're going to feel anymore confident in big water by switching to a Fun or CR or the like.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
PeterB is on it; if you feel like the EZ is hole bait (which I don't really feel like it is), it's not due to a lack of volume. If anything, it would be a lack of boat speed, which a shorter boat isn't going to help you with. If you want a short boat with more volume you're asking for a playboat. Sounds like the Fun series may be what you're looking for though.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #17
, Wyoming
Jackson is difinitely the way to go

If you are looking for a boat that you what to be comfortable in all day then this is the boat for you. And if you want a boat that is easy to roll, dry, very stable, and a great play boat then this is the boat for you. I have paddled the fun, 4fun, allstar, superstar, and the rocker for the last two years and they are great boats. I have sold all but the 4fun so I can get the new allstar and maybe the superstar. If you are looking for a boat that is more for river running and some play then the fun series is for you. I would recommend the 4fun at your weight if you are looking for river running performance and the fun if you are whating more play. Or if you are looking for a play boat that is great for riverr running then I would get the allstar but the super star is going to be a little big for you. I am 175 pounds and 6'2" tall and I fit awesome in the allstar. I love it and paddle it in all situations except creeking. You need to decide what you want it for and then you will be able to easily pick your boat.

I have a 06' 4fun if your interested just let me know. Jake 801-440-3195
paddle4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007   #18
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
Hmm...the perfect boat? Good luck. You need to decide what you want it for (and how good you are). As a dedicated quiver theorist, I think you need to get obsessive about it. OCD rules!

But if you insist on having one boat, you may like the Neckey Mission. Now wait, while it is as long as your BEZ, the huge rocker and smooth rocker transition (can't call it a break) make the effective planeing surface almost as short as my med S6f (my river running playboat) making it playfull, along with the slicy ends. I can even throw cartwheels with it. Your results may vary; at 145#s it is my playful riverruner, it may be your rr playboat. It's the only boat I take if I only take one on c IV rr trips.

And run rivers it will. I feel more comfortable in it than my (sold it) H3 235. The rocker, 57 gal, non trippy recessed edges, loose wide stable Vibe planeing surface, make it a wonderful class IV ride. I don't like volume in the ends that gets pushed around. I like more slicy ends that I (me and only me) change the direction of. But not pinney slicy, mamoth rocker slicy. Like for making the smooth upstream death ferry (relatively speaking, it's ONLY class IV) above the gnarley hole on the E Fk S Fk Salmon. It will also handle holes, ride over or slice under and thru.

I know what hero boaters use on class IV "bigwater PLAY runs" (see above). I did ok on the Wilson at beafy water in OR last fall in my S6F but it should have been a Mission. I'm just not THAT good. But the S6 is just all I had except my creeker. There are drawbacks to the quiver theory and my aging risk management.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007   #19
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
No one mentioned the 4Twenty. I switched from a Big EZ to a 420 ML last year. (I'm 6 ft, 190 lb, size 9.5 ft.) I think it's just as good a river runner as the Big EZ, but surfs better, and does not tend to mystery on me in bigger water. And despite being shorter, it doesn't seem to be any slower.

On the down side, I am having trouble finding a skirt that will seal adequately around those damn screws under the cockpit rim.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #20
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
More advice

It looks like several of you might be able to help me with some advice. I'm looking for a new boat. I'm looking for something basically only for playing. I tried the new Jackson fun recently and I loved it. It was just probably too small, but it was a ton of fun in the pool. I'm about 6' 200#. Would you guys recommend an AllStar, or the SuperStar? The SuperStar is the same volume as my EZG 60. I can barely throw that boat around, but it's great for running rivers. I think I want something with a little less volume, but I don't want to sink either.

bwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote