Old 01-06-2008   #11
Paddling Since: 1993
Chad, if you decide you are still iinterested in the Salto I have one I picked up brand new from eskimo last year, two tone and in near perfect shape.

mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks for all the feed back. It looks like I have found a demo for the Salto in SteamBoat. Mrekid, do you live close to Denver, could I hop in your boat see how it works for me?

How are people feeling about creek boats creeping up in volume? Jackson is putting out a creeker that is darn close to 100 gallons, can boats even respond to foward or back lean with this much volume? I don't forsee myself hucking anyting larger than 20 ft or running super gnar, is all that extra volume a benifit for class 4+ easy class 5 stuff? I was always happy with the volume of my Mirco 240 (low 70 gallon range), but couldn't get the thing to turn well.

Looks like I need to spend some weekends demoing boats this spring.

Chad_Sypolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #13
Chad, I live in Fort Collins and you are welcome to check out the boat anytime. Additionally you are right about the idea that the higher volume boats dont respond the same way. I have paddled several creek boats over the past few years and have found the Salto to be a good compromise for an all around creeker. There are several boats out there I would recommend to you above the Salto if you were planning on running technical class five regularly. However since you have indicated a desire to stick to 4+ 5-, the Salto is an excellent choice (particularly for Gore). My first impression of the Salto was that it felt like a sports car, I like the edges and acceleration. Ultimately though it really comes down to personal preference so deffinitley try the boat out.
Old 01-07-2008   #14
tech class V

hey MREKID - as a salto non-gnar creeker (but getting better!!), i'm curious what boats you would recommend over the salto for the tech class V you mention -

thanks - S
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #15
The jefe is a good boat if you can get used tot he high center of gravity. Also the new rocker is nice for a true displacement design. I have not paddled the habitat but hear good things from friends really pushing it in the design. Long story short I think higher volume rounder hulled boats tend to fare better in technical class five. However it also depends on weight. Obviously a smaller paddler would say the salto was high volume and would sit higher in the water making it less edgy. Personal preference I guess.
Old 01-08-2008   #16
Amsterdam, Netherlands
i've been paddling the same salto for over 7 years... yup! i'm a lot lighter than you so the abuse most of you fguys give a boat is much worse than my skinny ass. but in a nutshell, the slto is fast and unforgiving. if you've been paddling a Micro you're on cruise control and should probably stick with that type of design (like a Jefe). a salto goes where you tell it all the time regardless if you meant to or not ans sometimes it just straight up goes where it wants to. anyway, if you have the paddling style of say a racer or your always on your game than a salto could work. if you like to sit back and let the boat do all the work the salto isn't the boat for you. that's my .02$ -t
"I would drag my balls across broken glass just to hear her fart into a walkie talkie" -Jay Drury
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Hey Tboner,

Well I'm not a highly trained slamom racer, but I do like an agressive paddling style. I've been paddling Riot boats, and now Dragorissi boats recenty and find they perform very well and are super responsive if you keep them on edge, and are trippy if paddled flat. I assume the cruise control you mentioned is a boat that is very stable when it's flat?

Thanks everyone for your feedback, you've got my interest peaked about this boat. I'll be trying it out this spring, along with some other designs.

Chad_Sypolt is offline   Reply With Quote