Old 10-15-2004   #1
boat decisions

I looking to buy one of these boats, pyranha s6 200, s6f 193, and the kingpin 193. If anyone has any experience in any of these boats or multiple ones, your advice would be greatly appreciated. Please tell me what you think. I'm 6', 180lbs, and about 34 inseam.

benjam4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004   #2
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Call me biased.. but not sure why the Jackson SuperStar is not a consideration?

Depending on what you are looking for (more river runner or more freestyle) either the Superstar or 4Fun are kick ass boats. Pretty cheap comparitively as well.

We just started molding the Superstar so none of the shops have them yet.. but I have a demo if you want to check it out.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I am similar size and have paddled the S6 200 for three years. I love it. It is a great playboat and a good river runner. I have been worked in big water class IV but that is what I expect from a playboat. I hope this helps.
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004   #4
I am very similar in size to you and I switched to a Kingpin this year. I have only the the best of recomendations for the boat. My daily paddle is the Gallatin river in montana, which mostly consists of smallish holes and waves when the run off is gone but I put the Kingpin to work this summer on some of the west's finest play around the Rockies and I was more than pleased. Coming from the EZ the Kingpin almost feels like cheating(effortless wheels, surf and loopage). I think that anyone who has dialed the kingpin in will agree that it is the best all-around playboat around. However for a more exlcusively surf oriented paddler the pyranahas are also a good choice though I have only used them sparingly.
I also would suggest trying the Jackson line of boats because I have only heard the best about the boats and it is important to support someone like EJ who paddles and seems to live the life most of us will only aspire to. See you on the river....
BozonePaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004   #5
I'm 6', 180 and a 32 inseam and paddle the S6 200. I love the boat but for me it's right on the edge of my comfort zone - my size 13 feet barely fit. I did some carving on the front foam to make room for my heels but after 5 or 6 hours in the boat I hurt a bit.

I have the seat adjusted all the way back and that makes the trim a little back heavy so it squirts a bit more than I would like. Adds some excitement though!

Given all that, I love the boat. Having come from years in an RPM it's added a new dimension to my boating that wasn't going anywhere in the old boat; though I still take the RPM down Gore cause I'm sure I would get worked bad in the s6. If your feet aren't as big as mine and you can trim it so it's pretty well balanced I would recommend it.
westfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004   #6
Dreamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Dont for get any Bliss-Stick Boat is only 750 factory direct

If you are interested I think you would totally dig a Rad 175, or 185.

Check them out ay

While your their they will hook you up with a free DVD on the site.

Its, a win win situation here people
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #7
My experience with the S6 is the same a westfall. I just bought a ZG on the recommendation on the knowledgeable and experienced staff at Confluence (they do whine a lot thought). I fit into it with out moving the seat back (I have size 14 feet) so I’m much more centered in the boat and play moves come off smoother. I also no longer have to lean so far forward when down river kayaking do to having my seat back.
On the other hand it is far less stable then the S6 which has a wider base and better for learning and down river boating. I demo-ed the kingpin which was also much less stable then the S6. For a beginner I would recommend getting a used S6 and saving major $$$$$$$.

David H is offline   Reply With Quote