Old 08-20-2006   #1
Firefighter, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94

Does anyone know if Bluegrass Creek is running yet?

Boater72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #2
Driggs, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000

Listen for the Wheatland reservoir number 2 outflow.

SarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #3
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
it was running @ 277cfs this morning, Looking at the pics of it, that seems like more than enough for a decent flow.

Would like more beta.

Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #4
oh yeah
new mountainbuzz feature added in the last few minutes; SEARCH! radical thinkng on the developers part. we now have the ability to SEARCH through old posts and find beta on runs that have likely been discussed before. using said SEARCH feature yielded for starters. or maybe we think that this bluegrass creek might be a first descent. if so, my apologies.

okay, maybe i'm just bitter 'cause i don't get paid to boat like some. or maybe it's because i don't get to boat pro bono, or boat for drugs or guns or pretty much anything. come to think of it i've only been on the water once in the past month, which isn't a lot. so, yeah, bitter. f'n bitter. where's my beer?
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #5
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
dan, the warm weather down in salida gettin' to ya?
pull out that play boat & go get wet

(that's that orange thing under the house)

btw, would you be interested in getting on bluegrass this fall?
the only person I know who has hit it is jared (James's buddy), who doesn't seem to get out anymore.
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #6
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
I was thinking about running this Sunday. Waiting to hear if my buddy in Laramie will be back from the Teton by then. Drop me a pm or call 303.931.8756 if you interested.

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #7
castle rock
Send a message via AIM to liam dunn
kaleb i'd be down for running it.
liam dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #8
I would like to run it but 250 cfs just seems so low...Sure it floats a boat?
FlyingFluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #9
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
we ran it back in 2003 at 366 cfs. i don't remember thinking it was low or high, so i'd say 366 is probably medium and therefore 250 may be low, but i bet it'd float a boat and would be fun. i mean shit, what else is there right now? just know it's mostly just a good adventure and there is a ton of flatwater and fences....see below.....

i keep a log of my runs. here's what i wrote up, including directions that we used to put-in:

fun run! Worthwhile for sure. ran with paul, ben, eric and brian adkins. First mile is continuous V with a few borderline V+ drops. The main drops in this section are: a 10 to 12 foot waterfall, straightforward, but not much pool if any in landing, and then around corner to "ski jump" which is the hardest of the drops in this section. then some fun boogie then another big fall, angled, then some boogie and a move around a boulder then flatwater. water is very pushy in upper mile. flatwater isn't very flat with good gradient, but lots of fences on run - about 15 to 20. we never portaged any fences and were able to either lift then or roll under easily. actual run is great with cool boulders and rock scenery, a couple of solid IV rapids and then main event a solid V, recognized as the next horizon line after going under a low bridge just after a river wide low head dam type drop. main event has three moves, the first is leaning into a lateral at top on right, then sneaking sticky hole on left, then the waterfall, not 18 feet per book but probably 10 to 12, into large pool, then another drop after some flat pool water which is a good dropping slide, 12' maybe, sticky hole center, run left. takeout is same as CRC. put-in is head back towards 25 just a hair and turn on first left on paved road with sign marked to go to wheatland reservoir #3, take for a while, it turns to dirt, when it crosses a bridge, turn left immediately, not too far to put-in but need a 4wd type vehicle with clearance for this section. i'm guessing flatwater is about 13 miles for trip total of about 20 miles.

you could also check out:

or this article with some sweet pics:

Bryan Houle is offline   Reply With Quote