Old 04-26-2010   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Blue River Arizona TR

We just got back from an eppy weekend down south in NM and AZ.

Myself, Rez and RJ drove to this place I had seen some potential goods at on the Blue River and it had low (160 cfs) flow. Barely enough to fire it but guess who put their skirts on and sacked up!

We only ran the roadside section due to time constraints, have any of you ran the lower wilderness section (+/- 100 miles)? Please post details below...

There is one class V rapid with class V+ entrance and exit. It is short and has 3 6'ers and one 10'er stacked on top of one another. With perhaps another 100cfs the whole thing may go but it is SUPER MANK. The run in has a cruxy left to right then the rapid turns 90 deg. in a 6' falls to pushy slot. One more small drop leaves you in the Blue Box, a room that has a 10'er(NR) exit. The 10'er unfortunately slams into a wall on the right side with a pocket pin potential and on the left falls freely onto a misplaced rock. The lip is about 5-6' wide. With another 100cfs this may pad out and make for a good one?

after the portage there is about 1/4 mile of class IV with one rapid in particular (Robin's Revenge) that provided some dicey paddle-stroke goodness.

Anyway I would not recommend driving there just to do this rapid (it seems to be the only one) But again I do not know about the next 100 miles of wilderness paddling and there seems to be very little beta.

ran @ 160 cfs (too low)
wish we had 250 (low)
could have used 400 (medium)
may not have put on after 600 (high) definitely no eddies

please post some beta if you have run the lower section...
I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote

arizona, blue river