Old 04-09-2008   #41
B.F.E., Wyoming
[quote=TakemetotheRiver;91287]Using dynamite is like bringing a gun to a knife fight- where's the challenge?quote]

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #42
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
How about bringing dynamite to a knife fight? That would be sweet.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #43
Blowing up Quartzite

I was not serious about blowing the bridge on Piedra like I have said before I think pressuring the FS to take responsibility for their hazard is the best option. The bridge has been in disrepair for years and should not have been allowed to get to this level. It was more a question about man made hazards and the use of explosives, and a chance to gig FS again.

The Rogue reference was just historical, makes quartzite job look like small time..., but also opened the river and not just to downstream traffic.
Unordinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #44
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Originally Posted by rivermanryan View Post
Anyone have a record of how many fatalities occured at Quartzite prior to 1994? From the photo, it looked like a nasty hole, but not totally terminal, just curious.
I have the really old Dana Hollister Salt River Guide, and it only says "people drowned and many nearly drowned." I had heard there were three confirmed fatalities there, two on one trip and another on a trip after it became considered a more or less mandatory portage. I'm not sure if that number is still valid, but it wasn't like 20 or anything like that.
I saw it several times at flows between 4,000 and 18,000cfs, and the ledge hole was decidedly deadly. We once lost a boat into it that was being re-rigged in the eddy, and even with 3 lines on it, the hole still destroyed the frame and popped one tube before we could extract it safely. It wasn't coming out on its own. That was before we learned the awesome lining system for the right side. I ran it in a kayak at 18,000 and it was a very thin line between "no problem" and "you're f*&^ed" Just FYI, it was still easily lined on the right even at that unusually high flow. But, a guy in a party in front of us unloaded his gear and passengers and rowed an Achilles down the same line I paddled, and he skated through. Big problem for his group at that level was that all 3 rafts then flipped in Corkscrew, which must have made for unbelievable carnage. By the time we finished setting up and lining our 4 rafts on the right and being psyched out by what had happened to them in Corkscrew, we finally caught up to them at the end of the narrows downstream. They were badass whipped.
Somewhere, in an old Paddler / River Runner Mag there is an awesome photo of the late Dugald Bremner dropping in to the hole at monumental flows. I think it was a brutally long ride, and he swam, but he lived. You might be able to search that pic online somehow.
This has been a great thread, brought back a lot of fond memories of the Salt, both before and after the senseless destruction of a spectacular rapid. Luckily for me, my wife scored a permit for next week, there's still decent water, and we're off to make some more memories and pay our respects to a dear, departed, badly missed old friend: Quartzite Falls. R.I.P.
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #45
Gnarnia, Colorado
In 2001, there was an interesting documentary done on this issue titled: Quartzite's Fall: A Wilderness Tale. Not sure where you can obtain a copy but it's worth tracking down if you're really interested in the whole saga.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #46

A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. ~ Aldo Leopold

Dallas Blaney is offline   Reply With Quote