Old 04-27-2009   #31
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992
Need Some Accountability

Obviously, something needs to be done about this section of river. Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as voluntarily approaching (on your own) a group of drunken trailer trash and giving them an education as suggested above. Over the years, I’ve seen permitted rivers and other high use outdoor areas of other interests greatly improve through permits or regulations.

On the other hand, I’ve seen Federal Land Management Agencies target many different specific user groups for fees over the years with the explanation that the fees are to improve access and the overall quality of use by these targeted groups. In some of these cases and years later nothing more than a few signs have been put up and nothing has improved. The money/fees were not used to improve things for the original targeted user groups and their areas of interest, but funneled off somewhere completely different.

Please pay attention to what Tom Kleinschnitz is saying to the paper in this article, “I don’t know what they intend to use the fee for. That is the core of the problem here,” Kleinschnitz said. “Many times users are picked on a bit with these fee schemes. ... They seem in my opinion to be very much abused in these situations.”

If fees or even a fee/permit combination is the only thing that will cleanup and preserve this sections of river for future generations, I’m very open to considering and investigating it. I won’t simply jump on a band wagon supporting a fee system that is only vague about where the money/fees are going to be allocated and specifically what is going to be done with it. I’ve seen this similar cross road of past problems improve things and not improve anything but double taxing a specific user group.

The BLM needs to assure us that the specifics of X, Y, and Z is going to be done with the fees to improve this river corridor and that the money is only going to be spent on area used by the targeted user group and not be funneled off somewhere else! We need to be asking for specifics details from the BLM.

riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #32
Grand Junction, Colorado
Friends of McInnis Canyons

I am the manager for "Friends of McInnis Canyons NCA", the local non-profit group that partners with the BLM to try to help with these areas. We can always use more financial support and volunteers for our activities and projects. Check out our website at

We have just initiated a new program called the "Cottonwood Club"... Due to wildfires over the last few years (caused by people who didn't put out their campfires along the river), several mature stands of cottonwoods were burned to the ground. We're trying to replace those lost trees.

Originally Posted by jonas_f View Post
That being said, is there a local group / 501 3-c (to volunteer or donate money to) that is currently coordinating and spearheading an effort to educate, and partner with the GJ field office to manage these areas?

dfoushee is offline   Reply With Quote