Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-11-2006   #1
Bliss-Stick new SCUD, thinking of buying one.

Bliss-Stick new SCUD, thinking of buying one.
Anyone paddled one yet? Thinking seriously about buying one. Need some feedback. Looks like my style of boat, just worried to buy a boat from only the info on their web site.

foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #2
I've spoken to one person who has paddled the SCUD and they weren't too thrilled. Bliss-stick calls it a creeker or at least an allaround boat, but from the review that i received it acts more like a playboat than a reliable creeker. I like that BS is thinking outside of the box but IMPO this boat does not belong on creeks. In an attempt to make a boat that can "do it all", they may have designed a boat that might not be able to do anything all that well. I know this is a pretty harsh review from someone who hasn't even paddled the boat, so take this review for what it is, just my personal opinion. peace

huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #3
Send a message via AIM to ScottBarnes
a bad compromise

I know that lots of people, who absolutely LOVE their playboats (understandably), have often somewhat fantasized that "if this playboat just had some volume, it would be a sweet creek boat" Then they come back to reality and realize that a creek boat has ENTIRELY different requirements than a play boat.

The SCUD feels like someone took a bad version of the Stinger and just pumped up the volume to make their ill advised creek boat out of a playboat/riverrunner. SCUD doesn't play well. SCUD doesn't have any speed. It is not a dedicated creeker.

I, personally, don't like the feel of the Bliss-Stick boats, but having padded a few of them, I do understand that they have a few good designs out there that other people might enjoy. The SCUD is just not one of them.
ScottBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Bliss-Stick = no shop support = good luck taking care of any future warranty problems. Or, maybe the guy who sold it to you from his garage has the ability to replace boats out of his huge garage inventory.

As for trying the Scud: I wouldn't know; I haven't run into the guy traveling around in a van letting people try it.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #5

I will have my demo by the end of February.. My Scud will be here in 2 to 3 weeks along with the other Bliss Stick Agents in Colorado. From what I have been told think of it as a modern day Wave Sport Stubby. Shorter and a full on planing hull. Shoot me an email and I will get it to you as soon as I have it.
Mike Paris
Colorado Bliss Stick Agent
mparis17 at comcast dot net
PS Bliss Stick takes care of all their Customers. All boats are whare housed in Seatle so any warrenty will take about a week.
mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I was waiting for you to chime in Paris. How are you?
"Agent" is an interesting choice of words for your title. I am glad they have set up a warehouse to take care of warranty issues, and re-stocking. They absolutely stunk at it when they were selling through dealers. I guess I should let that one go...

I hope to see you at FIBArk this year.

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #7
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by marko
"Agent" is an interesting choice of words for your title.

GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #8
Leadvillian, Colorado

Bliss Stick breaks the mold of categorizing boats as creeker or play with the SCUD. Ideally, I think the SCUD makes a good first or only boat or a third boat. It does not conveniently fit into a two boat scheme. My impression after paddling it just a bit and getting out on some runs with paddlers who are in this boat is that an expert paddler is going to have a blast carving up some difficult but familiar runs in this boat, an intermediate will enjoy anything they'd take a playboat down as well as some tougher runs, and a newbee will have no problem getting the hang of paddling in one. I don't want to take anything away from the Bliss Stick crew, but if you're just getting into creeking and looking to run some tougher / steeper runs you might be disappointed in this boat. On the other hand, I guarentee there will be lots of big smiles from sik ones coming off Obj, Green Narrows, etc. in this boat.
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #9
Leadvillian, Colorado

feel free to e-mail (pm) me if you have any questions about specific boat handling characteristics, fit, etc. mp will be able to give you plenty more info. once he gets his demo. and Norm and the guys over at the factory are always helpful.
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #10
oh yeah
my first thought was that it might be a better designed sniper. no? looks like a steep creek machine. no? is it a true planing hull?

danger is offline   Reply With Quote