Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-20-2006   #11
Leadvillian, Colorado
same same but different

I didn't feel like it paddled like the Sniper. It has a planing hull, but there's more volume higher in the cockpit like most playboats. I don't really feel like I'm doing justice to the design. It's definately one of those ones you'll have to paddle to understand. Maybe it helps to say its biggest fans will say it has just enough volume with plenty of maneuverabiliy and boofs huge, and it's biggest detractors are probably going to call it hole bait. To a paddler with a real reliable roll and confidence it's going to bring smiles on those runs you're tempted to take a playboat but don't want to swallow your pride if you get worked. I think Upper Yough style, Section IV Chattooga, Green Narrows 100%, and lots and lots of low volume Colorado steepies will be awesome for lots of folks, I'm just too old and scared to hang it out there on a run with real holes in a boat this small. Good comparison to the Sniper in the sense it's the closest thing to the same overall class or concept of boat. If you're a beginner or just stepping up to class IV you might love it as your only boat, if you're a rad class V creeker with a real job or a sponsorship it's an awesome third boat. Just my $.02! Gotta hand it to the boys in Tihape at least they get people talking!

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #12
It's kind of like a Riot Disco, only like 5 years 'newer'. You can run everything in it and still freestyle, but it will never be the easiest or best boat to freestyle and it will never be a good boat on pushy creeks or big technical whitewater. I spent two full seasons creeking a Disco, and multiple times I wanted a boat that was FAST. Without speed you are asking for trouble in really big whitewater. Granted, I could boof everything, but I couldn't clear everything. The few times that I was stoked to be able to freewheel and play between the big drops aren't worth the lack of performance.

My advice... start by buying one new and one used boat, and keep two boats at all times, one for each use. There are plenty of good 2-3 year old boats available for the average paddler. And, you can buy boats that are designed to do one thing, not to suck at everything. Build a quiver, and then update every so often.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #13
Customer support

I've personally owned 4 bliss-stick boats. a flip-stick, rad, huka and mac-1. i had a problem with my mac, bought it from a dealer who had it sent to me. after about 3 months it started oil-canning and was soft. i emailed bliss-stick, they had a brand-new boat at my house in less than a week and the delivery guy took the old boat back. these guys are awesome for customer support and their plastic really is bomber. my buddy is getting a scud and i'll probably buy one to augment the quiver (jefe and rad currently). i paddle in new england, so it's nice to have something to scrape down little stuff that you'd take a topo on.
CarnageKory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #14
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I see this as a good boat to grab as a #3 boat, especially if you're going to, say, Costa Rica or Mexico and and you have room for one boat. Provided of course that you were planning to hit both play runs as well has some easier creeks and waterfalls. I doubt I would feel comfortable on big water or unfamiliar V with this boat.

On the other hand, the Scud looks like a fun boat for runs like Bailey or Black Rock where you could choose a playboat or a creeker depending of water levels and your comfort level. Pesonally, I thnk the Scud is strictly for Gear Whores. May the Lawd have mercy on us and our wallets.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote