Old 03-23-2006   #1
Bliss and Malad Run

I'm planning on running the Bliss run April 1 and maybe the Malad. What is the best CFS for surf waves on the Bliss run? What gauge should I be looking at for the Malad? Thanks.

mattcbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #2
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
i am heading that direction in early-mid-may, on the way to/from the selway. can anyone post directions to the bliss wave? thanks

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #3
The beauty of Bliss is there's no need to look at a gauge. It's always in becuase the section is between two dams so there's always water, even in the middle of winter, which by the way makes Boise such a great paddling locale. Plus, it's fed by underground springs so the water stays warm. Word to the newby, no ego intended here whatsoever, give the wave some time. It's super fast but has a nice pile. Once you get the hang of keeping your momentum down the wave face, whether in front surf or back, you'll be stoked.

The Malad has a gauge, I belive, but it's right off the freeway so go look. If it looks bony, which it often is, it's a no-go. Otherwise head up the road and put in above the dam where it flattens out. You'll have to portage the dam but the rapids above are worth it with one six-seven foot boof right before the portage. You're in for a treat if the Malad is in because you can do some playboat creekin' into the Bliss run. There's a good chance it will be in April.

Directions: Take Bliss Exit off I-84 about 20-25 miles west of Twin Falls. Take a left on the road next to the mini-mart. I think there's a sign to Hagerman. Put-in is where the Malad, you can't miss the canyon, comes into the Snake. This is where it's decision time. Run the Malad or head down the dirt road, towards the Snake put-in. The take out is the opposite direction (west) on the same road. There's a farmer just west of Snake River Pottery and you MUST ask permission to use his take out. If not--he's crazy and he'll have you locked up if you don't ask--take out down at the bridge you can see if you keep driving.......The run is Class II-III so try to get permission from the farmer. PM me if you want some directions to a couple cool park and hucks........
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote