Old 06-20-2013   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'm heading up to paddle. No racing for me, not my cup of tea. I was gasping for air the one time I swam out of rigo, and that was with a calm and rested start.

Sounds like a good idea to pick race partners at the race. You can experience the thrill of kayak racing and the agony of getting picked last (ala elementary school football) at the same time.

We can talk prior, but you defintely want a roper under the bridge for rigo. Sucks there, because you can't see, but most of the time, you won't rope someone out until they have gone down the little right slot below rigo and are floating under the bridge.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #12
dork, confusion
Paddling Since: 2000
so much fun! awesome race... i should've got more than 4 and a half hours sleep last nite.

chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #13
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Great time. Heading to bed. Glad everyone is doing well. Next year the plans begin now......
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The Black Rock Race was sick! We had 14 racers, 7 groups of two. Props to Jake V. for stepping up and racing to round out the odd number despite some reluctance. Forrest showed up, and in true Forrest fashion pulled out the ultimate ringer: “Oh yeah, Ben Stookesberry’s going to be my partner, he’ll be up here in a few minutes.”

Even though I think I could have done better by reprising my old partner Bank, he’s moved on to bigger and better things with team Fluid and instead of me showing him the smooth lines through the Narrows, he showed Leif the wrong lines, but still managed to just barely eek out a faster time than myself and Jake.

There was one swimmer in Rigo, and I don’t want to call out names, but basically Crispy and Tim DNF’ed, and we all know Crispy can playboat his way out of anything. Despite the fact that Steve R. reprised his old slalom racing background and left his partner Chris H. in the dust, and even though Chris recovered his long and voluminous Shiva before the race, they still came in 6th. Looks like these W. Virginia kids still have something to learn from the Colorado mank boaters.

Even though I give major props to Fremont and Other Ian for firing up the race in old school long boats, apparently being upside down and backwards through all the major rapids doesn't make up for cruising through the class III. They came in 5th.

Jake and I put in a respectable 4th place, though it was one place short of getting a cut of the beer. Had Jake known how close we were to 3rd I think he would have dug in a little harder and maybe skipped the surf session in Rigo. Next time!

Despite the claim by Nathan that Ft. Collins was too far of a drive for the Black Rock race, Leif showed up with his mullet blowing in the wind and joined Brian to represent team Fluid in a somewhat disappointing middle of the pack finish for 3rd. You can follow Brian down Gore, but he’s out of his element on Black Rock.

Even with the ringer, Forrest couldn't resist surfing a few sick holes, bringing Forrest and Ben into a respectable 2nd place position and Forrest proving that through the alchemy of kayaking, you can indeed turn a case of PBR into good beer.

Finally, even in the face of some stout competition, Kyle and Alex held onto their title for a first place finish. I was impressed.

I'll let Tina or Kyle post the official times, but it was a nice tight field.

Thanks to Fremont’s girlfriend Jenny for getting some great shots on my camera. On a quick pass tonight, I’m having trouble figuring out which of many were the best, but I couldn't resist the Ian and Fremont Rigo carnage shot. I liked this shot of Forrest and Ben,that seemed to capture the agony and ecstasy as Forrest attempts to recover from a bad entrance into Rigo. See the photos I uploaded. More to come.

Thanks to the racers, Hojo for coordinating safety, and everybody else that helped out. It was a great time!
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Solid work getting this thing together Kevin! Had a super fun time, even though I was in a cold sweat as I got into that long boat for the first time. They are indeed fast, but not very fast while upside down.

Thanks again for the safety crew stepping up. Definitely the only way to make this thing realistically happen.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #16
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks Kevin for informally putting it all together. Nice job rallying a crew, suggesting a format, and finding some folks to volunteer for safety. Thanks to all the capable paddlers who sat this one out in order to set safety for the racers! In addition to a six pack, if you were stationed at the narrows or rigo, I hope I provided you lots of entertainment.

Paddling hard for 20 minutes without rest, after a harrowing line through Mr. Bill, then dropping into Rigo was pretty real. Fortunately that boat I have is pretty slippery. It also boosted my morale when Other Ian gave me an encouraging hug while we surfed that hole together before flushing out the bottom (dude, we got this).

Jenny and I had a great time! Thanks everyone. SYOTR!
Damn it feels good
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #17
Paddling Since: 96
Sounds great! Wish I coulda been there to talk some trash...
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Sounds great! Wish I coulda been there to talk some trash...
Plenty of people talk trash without showing up. Feel free to join in next year.

Thanks for the hug Fremont...kept me going through the bottom.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #19
Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 2007
I had a ball, thanks to everyone who showed up and hung around til I managed to finish. Guess I should have just tied my boat to Rako's.
cheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #20
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Fun times last night. Great to see a big crew on one of the afterwork faves.

I set safety at rigo and was waiting for the racers when 2 pre racers rolled through rigo. Both got tossed around, and one ended up swimming. I hit him with a rope right after the bottom hole and pendulumed him out before the slot drops just below on the right. I wasn't exactly sure who the paddler was when he was on the water, but he ran back up to say thanks, and low and behold, its the guy who randomly threw me a rope two years ago when I swam in the same spot. Sometimes you get lucky!

Unfortunately I (and others) didn't get another swimmer out, and the swim under the bridge after rigo is punishing!

Nice work Kevin rallying a good time on clear creek.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote