Old 07-06-2007   #1
Denver, Colorado
Black Rock Race For Beer & Dry Suits!

Saturday July 14th, 2007 will be the first annual EddyFlower Black Rock Race. It’s simple: teams of two race from put-in to eddy below Riga Mortis rapid, two minute interval between teams. Team with the fastest time will be crowned champions and win Palm Dry-Suits and Beer…that’s right BEER!

Here’s the goods!

Registration: 10:30 till 11:30 am at the Golden Whitewater Park. If you are interested in rallying a team to compete, e-mail us at:

Registration Costs: 12 pack of beer per competitor & $10.00 per person to cover insurance.

Race Start Time: 12:30 pm.

Prizes: Palm Dry Suits (yes, top of the line dry suits) and BEER!

Course: 6 miles. The put in above Black Rock to the eddy below Riga Mortis. Teams must run Riga Mortis rapid to be eligible for prizes.

Party: 5pm at The Spot in Golden CO. This is where the winners will be announced and prizes handed out!

We are looking for some volunteers to make this happen. If you’d like to be a part of the event email us at:
  • Safety (looking for 9 people)
  • Shooting video (looking 3 people)
  • Shuttling spectators and paddlers (looking for 8-10 trucks). We want to minimize the amount of traffic in the canyon.
  • Spectators (trying to get a head count to ensure we have enough shuttles)
For Events Details & Rules - check out the events section, should be up soon -

paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Hell yeah! Going to be some good fun! I'm there!

Good prize choices... Beer and drysuits are two of my favorite kayaking accessories...

I guess I'll have to start running rigo this week.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #3
Do competitors need to be in their boats when crossing the finish line?
yakpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #4
Denver, Colorado
50 second penalty if you swim across the finish line Must run rig to be eligible for prizes.
Old 07-08-2007   #5
Denver, Colorado
Who is up for running safety? Should be fun to watch
Old 07-09-2007   #6
Denver, Colorado
Poster is up...

Let me know what you think of the poster -
Old 07-10-2007   #7
Denver, Colorado
Race Rules

The race rules are up -

We have made one exception so far, a two man team has decided on topoduoing it! That is gonna be sweet to watch. Good luck guys
Old 07-10-2007   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paul, you have got to stop bumping this post... more exposure means more competitors means less chance of me winning.
"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #9
change of venue?

Since Clear Creek has dropped to boat shredding levels, and will probably be below 400 by Saturday, why don't we change the location. We can change the event name to the Club Bailey Shootout. Same rules basically apply. Make it top to bottom, and therefore teams will be rewarded if they run and stomp the big ones. Teams can choose to portage anything, but must race the portage. The level should be 500+ to ensure a healthy flow. Safety is not included in the race, so if you think you'll need a rescue you shouldn't race. If you swim you drink a booty. Bring $10 CASH per person ($20 per team) and all of the money will be thrown in the proverbial pot. The winning team will receive ALL of the cash.

I'm assuming we could run this with the same amount of volunteers? Remember, safety is provided only by your paddling partner.

Spectators should put-on before noon.

Who's in?
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #10
Mad Scientist/Creeker
I thought we decided on the Club Baileys Showdown? Anyway, um ya, like Cutchen McMuffin said, Blackrock is going to be cracking boats left and right and Bailey is at a fine flow all of teh sudden, so I mean why not a little change-up??? We'll even throw in a copy of the new testament for each of the team members in second place. Not trying to derail this whole event... but I mean charging down Bailey at a respectable flow and just having to give her when you usually eddy out and hem and haw over First Falls and SuperMax, now that is a race. Or we could race Big South. I don;t know.

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote