Old 07-11-2015   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Black Rock Race 2015 - Tues. July 14

Black Rock Race aka Tom Janney Class III downriver paddleboat race:
Tues July 14.

It's that time of year again. The sun is out, Clear Creek is actually clear, flows are dropping fast, and boaters are back in the canyon. The water may not be extreme, but it doesnít mean you canít be! That means it's time for Colorado's best, most last minute, most informal, class III (warning: rating subjective) downriver race!

Show up for the annual Black Rock race at the takeout after Rigor Mortis on Clear Creek at approximately 5:30 p.m. to race, spectate, time, provide safety or just have a good time!

The format will be teams of two, timed from just above Black Rock rapid through Rigo. Entry fee is a six pack per racer to be divvied up amongst the top 3 teams, race safety and timing crew. Iíll be taking notes on who brings the cheap beer.

Unlike the Poudre Race, all qualified boaters are welcome to compete. In the true spirit of informality, we will take a vote amongst the racers before the race to decide how to handle classes of boats. In years past itís been a free for all with longboats, short boats, or anything in between. Other options are to create a separate division or restrict long boats. So be prepared for an audible.

Last year we had 24 racers and lots of others paddling, spectating or helping out. See you on Tuesday!

KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015   #2
Denver, Colorado
Daaaamn you guys are lucky I left, otherwise I would be drinking up all the beer again. Long boat division, pffft. Fastest time overall is king.

Depending on how you front rangers team up I predict Mariah or maybe Will end up on winning teams. Pretty much errrebody else is on the slow bus.

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Man, I was really hoping Tango might be back in town to race so he could slow Will down.

Here's a little action from 2013.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02187.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	454.6 KB
ID:	10253  
Old 07-12-2015   #4
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I'll volunteer for timing and safety. Could use a starter and as usual I'm sure there'll be a few who want to paddle it and set boat safety below The Hand.

Sent from my XT1254 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015   #5
Rotorua, NZ
I'm gonna have to jump on board with the shit talking from afar...
Seeing my homestate go apeshit with the highest water in DECADES and the front page of the buzz to have a photo from Vallecito (May? really?) and Evan's photo from Big South be the ONLY photos from a high water year?
What gives with you front rangers? Are you all too scared of the high water to get out and go paddling and take photos or is everyone too busy swimming their shit back to shore to take photos?
I'll have to give Tango credit he did win in a long boat last year and is on the disabled list this year. I'd love to be there to show you guys how paddle strokes are actually taken but I'm too busy paddling every day...

My money is on a team that features either A) Maria, B) Will or C) Alex the law Clayden and Kyle the style McCutchen actually show up in long boats...

Alright annual shit talking from Rotorua over. Have fun and I expect to see a lot, and I mean a lot of carnage from you muppets.
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Riley would like to do a race edit again this year. If anyone cares to shoot video at some of the upper Rapids and get it to him that would be swell.

Obviously something from a real camera is great, but if you're shooting with a phone, some of that might be useful. Be sure to hold it horizontally!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Ha, I think lack of photos on here is all of the above + facebook.

Looks like flows are going to be a great moderate level. Should be perfect for racing.

If someone is willing to be a starter please let me know. I'd love to have it lined up beforehand. You will be showered with free beer and many thanks. Otherwise we'll just find the most weak willed person tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2015   #8
Boulder, Colorado

1 Will & Alex 25:13 (swim)
2 Ryan & Chris 25:27
3 Kevin & Maria 25:44 (swim)
4 Oliver & Adrian 25:56
5 Casey & James 26:00
6 Jonathan & Lucas 26:03
7 Austin & Quinn 29:50 (swim)
8 Mike & Trent 43:31 (swim)

Good times on Black Rock last night with some old faces and new ones. The theme this year was "swim for the win."

There seems to be a strong correlation between number of racers and flows. We had approximately 675 cfs last night, which is a great race flow, but more juice than last year and a few less participates. Rocks shifted around in Rigo this year, making it a bit more challenging and it claimed some victims. Lots of people showed up and everybody had a great time (as far as I know).

Forrest had suggested a bonus time reduction for each end you throw in Rigo. Alex tried that strategy but forgot to throw ends and just pulled his skirt. The long boats & good lines above gave them enough padding to swim for the win though.

Ryan and Chris kind of crushed it with a fairly close 2nd place. I think Maria & I would have been close had my partner not decided to also try the Forrest strategy and forgot you're not supposed to pull your skirt.

A big thanks to Hojo for organizing the timing and safety, although he's threatening to race next year, figuring he can do better than the status quo. Also a big thanks to my buddy Brian and his daughter Abby for running the start timing.

I was disappointed to see some missing faces. Bank decided breaking his boat (some more) on Big South was more worthy, Bridger, Other Ian, & Rako, who I know are all fast, didn't take this perfect excuse to dodge other life obligations. Other Kevin must have seen that Eldo was above 90 cfs and didn't make it all the way to Golden.

Hopefully Riley has a good carnage video in the works. Until next year!
Old 07-15-2015   #9
Boulder, Colorado
By the way, I have someone's worn down Powerhouse that was leaning on my car & a water bottle.
Old 07-15-2015   #10
Indian Hills
last place team
Attached Files

With cunning skill like a duck walking a tightrope at night
miker is offline   Reply With Quote