Old 10-05-2010   #11
Originally Posted by rivermanryan View Post
Flow will likely be ramping down this weekend.
Where are you getting the flow updates?

The BOR has also mentioned reducing tunnel flows soon and needing to lower Blue Mesa to "ice level" before winter.

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #12
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Tom, could you describe where the great falls rock is a little more specifically? When I ran it (also 600) it felt fine and deep, but my paddle hit a rock off to my left as I was landing. My boof wasn't a total stomper, but I got a lot more right than sean did. Do you think that could have been the rock he hit?

leif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Leif i think that is the rock he hit, it seems if you can get out and to the right that is the line. Also if you were to somehow get pushed left behind the other waterfall the water sieves out under the large rock that you stand on to scout, it is shallow there so maybe you could climb out of it but I'm not sure, thats why I didn't run it at higher flows but it seemed outta play at 600.
Milo, did you get in there last weekend? still figuring out if we are going this weekend, might be another week before we get back down there.
hope they hold the flow or drop out the canal diversion
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #14
leif you are sick!! the rock is directly at the bottom of the falls. i pretty much landed flat with the falls and hit hard. the rock is toward the back part of the falls as it left a dent in my boat behind the seat. tom boofed out and still hit his tail a bit so the impact was not as great. i wouldn't say its something you would hit with your paddle to the left, that is probably closer to the sieve rock tom is talking about.

my guess is that milo is not responding and probably won't be kayaking due to his extremely flamboyant rollerblading habit... not a big deal bro, we support you and don't think any less of you
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #15
BOR flow updates get posted here:
Aspinall Unit Coyote Gulch

They're indicating flow will drop below 600 CFS later this month.
Old 10-06-2010   #16
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by tj@cu View Post
hope they hold the flow or drop out the canal diversion
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Never hope for them to drop out the canal diversion! Where would I go every weekend?

On an unrelated note, what will you be doing on the first weekend that they drop out the canal diversion? Want to go hang out in a dark place together and take lots of photos of each other having painful experiences?

And Sean, I talked to the doc, I'm nowhere near as sick as you. My rash was just poison ivy, and it's starting to clear up already.
leif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #17
From BOR hydrologist, today:

Originally Posted by Dan Crabtree
Well be working on the schedule this week. I need to coordinate with a few folks to get it set. Flows will probably be reduced to 500 cfs and Im guessing on October 18th. Dont hold me to it at this point. Also, the Gunnison Tunnel will start reducing flows this week, so you might see some minor fluctuations as they shut down and we attempt to match their reductions with changes at Crystal.
Old 10-12-2010   #18
That's terrible news, I was hoping for one more weekend of flow in the tunnel.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #19
West slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: day1
got on the black twice this fall once in sept and once in oct...was hopeful for an increase in flow but not sure if its going to happen...we wanted to run the stout on great falls but we got scared...600 is a good flow but its a little bony.. and it adds another portage early on the second day...great place to get away from life and smoke alot of herb while sweating balls in your dry suit...catching and eating fish easily is fun...more water would be nice...great trip... lots of work!
West Slope Or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #20
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
....roller bladin'...... to the roller bladin' comment by's true, i opted out of the kayak run that weekend.....number 1 reason-scared, number 2 reason-too big of a group, reason #3-kato was picking on me too much, reason #4-seanlee would have picked on me too much, reason #5-needed to finish a tile job, reason #6-caught wind of yet another crested butte/lake irwin "dumboff".....they had, just 2 days prior, laid fresh chip seal on KEBLAR PASS out side of cb.....some dumb guys had semi-automatic weapons, medicinal weed and medicinal PBR......and a vision of a skateboard race.....had to see up i went and wow...they were serious.....but as the news paper quoted me, "i smelled weak sauce and went in for the kill".....the only deal was i am not a skate boarder.....i overheard a contestant say he was dropping out because of all the traffic(leaf season).....he had "swiped", "borrowed without asking", "pinched", "found", "ripped off" a pair of rollerblades...size 11.....i poached them from him and started to warm up.....i've got over 40 years of hockey under my belt(i'd go in the corner with anybody on this website and come out with the puck, even GARY E)....chip seal and ice are about the hard could it be?....smoked those tools and skated away with the win on the first DIG YOUR OWN GRAVE RACE....the race course was named, it was way sketchier than the BLACK CANYON!!!!! i just filled them up with soft mountain soil and a bit of "chip" and won the freestyle small cliff drop section, the freestyle downhill section and the overall speed section....what do they call that?....oh a CLEAN SWEEP.....yes, there was blood,sweat and one competitor noted, "it's a tuff pill to swallow", getting schooled by a nearly 50 year old, rollerbladin' never-ever, on stolen oversized rollerblades"....with my confidence swollen, i decided to get towed behind a dirk bike, at high speeds on the chip seal in heavy traffic with no braking techniques.....I DO RECOMMEND THAT ACTIVITY......i just wonder why i keep getting sponsorship calls from JERGENS, VASOLINE, KY and gay pride parade info......did i do something wrong?.....i just made rollerblading, i'd like to thank IR for making one tuff pair of shorts....the fleecy lined ones.....the organizers thought they were "too much protection".....they held up to some serious abuse.....thanks seanlee, for accepting me as a multi-talented sports dude....for all you BUZZARDS.......the hardest part about the BLACK CANYON is saying yes to putting on......jergens boy 420 cb......

milo is offline   Reply With Quote

black canyon