Old 10-30-2011   #1
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo

....with all the work and effort one puts into running the's worth bringing home a little bit of the itch.....we all know how to avoid the itch(dont go).....last wknd the flows were reduced to about 580cfs.....bring elbow pads for sure(mine were in my moto gear tub so it felt like i was in front of the net waiting for the puck to score).....the waterfall is very thin at that level.....back to the ivy.....such a beautiful plant in the bring some itch home with you....(A)don't wash off at the cave camp, (B)use minimal amounts of blue-dawn-dishwashing-liquid, (C)do not put a thin layer of soap on your paddle, (D)put your ivy soaked socks back on for the night, (E)think positively about the qualities of the "good itch", (F)while in your flip-flops at CAVE CAMP, try to stumble in the ivy plants that surround the fire-pit(please water them if you have time), (G)hug your kayak as much as possible at CAVE CAMP after you take your gear off, (H)not for everybody but, scatch your balls if you have NO gals lined up for a month, (J)hug your buddies kayak, he was way more sloppy on the portage, (K)do NOT practice the rare form of yoga known as MONTROSE YOGA, (L)use "lemony fresh" western family dishwasher soap, (M)do NOT a shower when you get home, (N)scratch your shit before you finally take a HOT shower, (O)proceed to scratch at will until it bleeds, (P)do not use technu, bleach, or gasoline....if you follow these easy tips you can enjoy the itch too....i am sure to have forgotten something so if you've been lucky enough to bring home that GODLY ITCH please do hare your tips......itchyguy420cb

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #2
Buena Vista, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2004
I ran the black over labor day weekend, and I really feel like I missed out on the lasting memories. Only one person from our group brought the itch to Gauley Fest, and it was the gift that kept on giving from river to river. So next time, I'll heed these tips so I too can enjoy that Godly Itch! However, I fear my ignorance may cause me to accidentally mess up number (K), whats Montrose Yoga?
Just like the cheat sheet, thanks for the info Milo, it helps us all appreciate the canyon, especially when we miss the super highway and wander through the fields of ivy.

G_reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #3
crested butte, Colorado
........montrose yoga.......

......montrose yoga- noun, to do various bodily positions that may result in stretching of the muscles or the mind, to move in a way that the ferocious montrose corbra cannot bite you causing unending itching and bleeding, a special type of yoga known only to montrose kayakers, this technique has evolved from cali yoga or carolina yoga, not yet known in india or asia......on a side note, i tried to scratch balls but i could not find them(lack of sunshine and cold water )....ok, they were nowhere to be found, but it was not for a lack of looking!!!! yogi master 420 cb
Old 10-30-2011   #4
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
I might add a tip I discovered- go in there at ridiculous levels, forcing more portages than typically necessary and no routes through the glistening groves of goodness.
Vaya Con Rios!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #5
Boulder, Colorado
milo you gotta have some balls to get in there 48 times. Any word on water level changes, someone said back near 1000 in November?
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #6
crested butte, Colorado
......balls....'s that cankle?....just talked to my buddy whose interested in a one day blast later in the week.....the weather is closing in but the m-box is in the desert.....i made a call to the men in green and they are looking at mid-november to bump up the flows.....1000cfs was the target for 2 weeks then 1200+ after that.....the road likes to close last week of nov or the 1st week of got time tj@cu....heal that cankle up....jacub is back from europe and movin' to the butte next week.....he wants the nasty shit in there......i just want my 49 and 50....i looked into the medical procedure "add-a-ballsack-to-me"....expensive and has not been proven to add any courage....if there are complications during the procedure, you could be left with an "add-a-vag-to-me".....looking for surgery 420 cb.....
Old 10-31-2011   #7
B.V., Colorado
here's one for everytime

take your dry bags out of your boat to carry for the portage, drag them in P.I. the entire way, at cave camp don't rinse them off, and then use for your pillow
"Huck Finn?...more like huck-and-swim"
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #8
crested butte, Colorado

....ahhhh, nice melrose.....i usually use a fleece pillow-case over my float bag....i am a pillow-dependent type of sleeper.....(Q)use ivy coated drybags for pillow without washing them at CAVE it...sounds ungodly but it should produce the results "we're" looking for.....(R) when leavin' CAVE CAMP, ferry across the pool and head over to LITTLE AUSTRALIA.....hug the left wall and be prepared for all the brush, sticker bushes, raspberry bush and the magical 3 leafed wonder plant(montrose cobra)....the lower route along the river keeps you out of all this mess but allows you to catch a "last chance" eddy that bleeds into a MASSIVE river wide sieve....kinda fun....LITTLE AUSTRALIA portage allows one to sweat bullets, use fowl language, get scratched up and wade thru the last stronghold of the "cobra"......420cb....
Old 11-02-2011   #9
Arvada (Denver), Colorado
In Humble Praise of Leaves of 3

Worship their presence but leave them be...

Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #10
crested butte, Colorado
.........snow and ice....

...just got an email from the men in green....the east portal road is closed for the season due to snow and ice....i talked to my "inside guy" and he said it may reopen in a week but most likely not....nobody cares really except of a few of us trying to band another one out at bigger flows....a shame really.....oh well, time to make those turns....left, right, left, right......

black canyon